Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
1 | 2 

15 posts


  # 573920 27-Jan-2012 03:15
Send private message

I totally forgot to post to let people know about updates on my situation. I'm so sleepy that I can barely keep my eyes open at the moment, so I'll just get straight to the point.

Firstly, I want to thank Gary for sending a note to TC's customer care team in Christchurch. Here is what happened in the last couple of days. On Wednesday, Orcon was having a problem with its call management system, so its call centre was basically not functioning. I urgently needed to find out my asid, so I decided to just go to their physical office, and also go to TC's office while I'm on it.

Everyone was busy at the Orcon office, so I quickly obtained asid number, asked a receptionist to arrange someone in charge to call me later that day. Then, I headed to TC's North Shore office, and that's when finally some things started happening. After waiting at the reception area for a while, I met one of technical team leaders in the building. I will just refer to him as Mr G in the following.

It took him about only 10 min to get his team working on the case and get briefed on the situation. We had about 20 min conversation. He said he had suspicion that Orcon might have cancelled my line (more on this later), said that the setting up of my line and service seemed to be due for completion on the 31st Jan (after numerous phone calls to TC's customer centre, this was the first time I was told about the exact date). He said that he would request that the provisioning team start working on it, send a complaint to a complaint officer, and get back to me later that day. The entire meeting was quite pleasant and fruitful.

A couple of hours after that, this time, someone from Orcon called me. He informed me that someone actually cancelled my line (seriously, this could have caused soooo much trouble). This was very weird because when I called, I emphasised and double checked that they cancel my service but do not request cancellation of my line because it's to be ported to TC. He said he will trace down the conversation and get back to me on Friday. 

Right after this, I sent a txt to Mr G saying that Orcon cancelled my line. He replied pretty much right away, and to my surprise, he said that he actually got the provisioning team working on it and might even be able to connect me up before the 31st.

Yesterday, I got call from Mr G in the morning. And... ... ... he told me that the work has been scheduled and I can probably get connected on Friday!!! 

In the afternoon, I got a call from one of TC's complaint officers. This call lasted about 40 min. He gave me a sincere apology, informed me about the actual details about what actually happened and was happening, and offered to negotiate some sort of compensation. I asked for compensation to cover costs that the situation incurred (mostly coming from the dongle I bought), and he said okay straight away.

So there it is folks. As long as everything goes as I was informed yesterday, I'll be a very happy customer of TC. Finally, I would like to bring to the attention the summary of exactly what happened and some tips. Oh, and I would like thank the team leader, Gary, and the complaint officer.

SUMMARY (according to what the complaint officer told me)

I sign the contract with TC and send Orcon service a cancellation notice on the 14th or 16th of Dec (sorry, I cannot remember exactly which). TC sends a porting request pretty much straight afterwards. However, Orcon does not pick this request up and no acknowledge is sent back to TC. This request is pretty much forgotten by both the parties and sits there until the actual porting date.

I call TC's call centre (I believe this is actually in Manila) on last Friday to raise an issue. On Sunday (which was the porting date), my connection is working most of the time, and I assume that the porting was done. On Tuesday, I, out of old habit, check my data usage on Orcon website and find out that my connection is still with Orcon. I call to see what has happened. (People seem to think that I explicitly requested my service to be cancelled here, but I actually did not.) A customer care person informs me that there was no porting request from TC and also I only gave Orcon cancellation notice, but no cancellation order. I'm OFFERED to have my notification taken as an order, and (thoughtlessly) accept it.

I make numerous calls to TC's call centre to get the problem sorted and ask for compensation. After a few hours spent calling and talking to various people (including someone from "retention team" as well), I basically get to nowhere. 

Wed, I waste the entire morning making calls to TC and Orcon call centres again. In the afternoon, I head down to their physical offices. 

Thu, I'm informed pretty much everything's been sorted and also my complaint is properly handled.


TC has their main customer care team in Christchurch. I believe my problem would have been sorted a lot sooner if I called them straight away. If you call the toll free number, you are calling the call centre in Manila. So if you ever find yourself in a situation similar to the one I was in (i.e. if you are having trouble even figuring out what is happening, and talking to the people in Manila is getting nowhere), try calling Christchurch one or just going to the nearest physical office. Seriously, it's totally worth the little effort. 

Don't take everything that customer care people (at the bottom level) tell you at face value. Of course, they wouldn't lie on purpose, but they might be as misguided as you are (I think that the biggest misguiding bit of information I was given this time was Orcon customer care person telling me "there hasn't been a request from TC.").

Well, I'll try to let people know the rest of the progress tonight. But I think this topic can be pretty much closed now. 

2584 posts

Uber Geek

Mod Emeritus
Lifetime subscriber

  # 573924 27-Jan-2012 06:35
Send private message

Good to hear and good luck for today, I certainly hope it all goes smoothly. Also point taken on the offer rather then request. I can see how in the middle of battle as it were it would be easy to agree without thinking it though. I think we have all made mistakes of those kind.
Its great that Telstra have stepped up to the plate even though it seems in your summery that a lot of fault lies with Orcon.

Media centre PC - Case Silverstone LC16M with 2 X 80mm AcoustiFan DustPROOF, MOBO Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H, CPU AMD X2 240 under volted, RAM 4 Gig DDR3 1033, HDD 120Gig System/512Gig data, Tuners 2 X Hauppauge HVR-3000, 1 X HVR-2200, Video Palit GT 220, Sound Realtek 886A HD (onboard), Optical LiteOn DH-401S Blue-ray using TotalMedia Theatre Power Corsair VX Series, 450W ATX PSU OS Windows 7 x64


601 posts

Ultimate Geek

  # 573930 27-Jan-2012 07:38
Send private message

In the afternoon, I got a call from one of TC's complaint officers. This call lasted about 40 min. He gave me a sincere apology, informed me about the actual details about what actually happened and was happening, and offered to negotiate some sort of compensation. I asked for compensation to cover costs that the situation incurred (mostly coming from the dongle I bought), and he said okay straight away.

What I find strange is first you're told no to compensation, but as you persue it further through others, something happens. Everything that can be done should be done from the get go. No having to talk to others, etc., even in regards to other issues.

1 post

Wannabe Geek

  # 574118 27-Jan-2012 14:47
Send private message

I also recently left Orcon for TELSTRACLEAR 

Last night a Telstra agent/employee (hard to tell with the devious ways business operates these days) called me to 'see how the service was going'.

I told her 'very well.'  

She then asked me when I would pay the outstanding $48 on my account.
I told her my initial contract was " first two months free " , to which, after much bickering and three long phone calls, a further "two free months" would be added by way of compensation for the shambles getting my service transferred.

Earlier today I sent email to them for an explanation - when/if  I get an answer I'll let you know.

I'd like to add, as I did in the emai,l I'm quite happy to pay for any extras I may have incurred. 

15 posts


  # 574176 27-Jan-2012 16:52
Send private message

I would like to thank everyone for interests and feedback on this thread. My connection is finally up now (it was actually up from around 4:20pm). There are still a bit of unclear matter of where to put what blame on, but honestly I'm too tired to pursue that and it's not as if it's going to result in any more positive progress.

Today, there was a new comment from Orcon. "TC requested to take over broadband and toll-calling, but forgot about the phone line." I was told that TC had taken over the two services on the 24th, but not the phone line, so that was probably why my phone line got dropped. He said if a phone line does not belong to any ISP for a period of time (like a couple of days) Telecom throws it into a recycle bin.

Well, I'm just going to leave it there. Now that I'm actually getting the service, just one extra comment on the quality of the broadband. TC feels a bit slower than Orcon, but I'll be saving more than 40 dollars a month (although mainly because my contract was on a promotional offer), so I'm happy with it.

Again thank you for your interests in the thread. I'm satisfied enough, and not pursuing the matter any further. You can consider this thread closed. Happy surfing, people.

1 | 2 
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic

Twitter and LinkedIn »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

News »

Arlo unveils its first video doorbell
Posted 21-Oct-2019 08:27

New Zealand students shortlisted for James Dyson Award
Posted 21-Oct-2019 08:18

Norton LifeLock Launches Norton 360
Posted 21-Oct-2019 08:11

Microsoft New Zealand Partner Awards results
Posted 18-Oct-2019 10:18

Logitech introduces new Made for Google keyboard and mouse devices
Posted 16-Oct-2019 13:36

MATTR launches to accelerate decentralised identity
Posted 16-Oct-2019 10:28

Vodafone X-Squad powers up for customers
Posted 16-Oct-2019 08:15

D Link ANZ launches EXO Smart Mesh Wi Fi Routers with McAfee protection
Posted 15-Oct-2019 11:31

Major Japanese retailer partners with smart New Zealand technology IMAGR
Posted 14-Oct-2019 10:29

Ola pioneers one-time passcode feature to fight rideshare fraud
Posted 14-Oct-2019 10:24

Spark Sport new home of NZC matches from 2020
Posted 10-Oct-2019 09:59

Meet Nola, Noel Leeming's new digital employee
Posted 4-Oct-2019 08:07

Registrations for Sprout Accelerator open for 2020 season
Posted 4-Oct-2019 08:02

Teletrac Navman welcomes AI tech leader Jens Meggers as new President
Posted 4-Oct-2019 07:41

Vodafone makes voice of 4G (VoLTE) official
Posted 4-Oct-2019 07:36

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.