Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

Mad Scientist
17932 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2231

Lifetime subscriber

Topic # 151729 3-Sep-2014 13:26
Send private message

Hi I earn a salary, and apart from donations I do not need to file any tax returns.

HOWEVER, sometimes you get overtaxed and you are entitled to a refund.

I am registered to use eservices and have a login.

What is the best way to find out whether i am overtaxed?

Are the ird tax calculators accurate?
We still get a summary of earnings from IRD?

And if there is a refund I just request a PTS?


Create new topic
1558 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 243


  Reply # 1121147 3-Sep-2014 13:55
Send private message

Yes calculators are accurate assuming you put in the correct information.  Anyone can fill out an IR10 but generally you should have been taxed correctly on the PAYE system. The most common occasion of being overtaxed is if your wages changed for a reason (overtime as an example) or if you had more than one job and the secondary tax rate was higher.

1389 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 34

  Reply # 1121359 3-Sep-2014 18:51
Send private message

I just rang them up ... have your end of tax year certificates ready from your bank accounts thou ...

You then fill in a form etc. 

Never had to user those paid for services. 

I had to do it b/c if your bank accounts were on the wrong tax rate.  Also if you are doing temp or contract work and there are times when the salary is quite different or that you had time between without a job.  Because if you are contracted for 1 or 3 months and the pay is $80k.  They will tax you at the job if you are earning 80k for the whole year - even if you spent 9 months without a job.  At the end they also adjust your student loans etc ... and other stuff. 

Only exception that I know if you are contracting properly where by you do your own tax every interval and you pay GST etc ... then you pay the tax yourself and organise that yourself.


597 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 132

  Reply # 1121367 3-Sep-2014 19:09
Send private message

There are numerous reasons why your tax may have been over or under and a PTS will either give you a refund or send you a bill.

It's free to request a PTS and it's more than likely that you'll either get a refund or get nothing, you don't usually underpay tax.

If I were you I would request it, I have and my last 2012-2013 PTS got me a sweet $150 refund.

Stefan Andres Charsley

22 posts

+1 received by user: 12

  Reply # 1121607 4-Sep-2014 09:31
Send private message

Yes, the ird calculators are the best, though I always found a small difference between what it said and what I got from the PTS. 

You can view your summary of earnings online through the myIR, they don't usually send them out unless you have to file (IR3) or request one. 

If you owe tax based on the information on the summary of earnings that IRD holds, usually just earnings/tax from employment (from using an incorrect tax rate for example), they will do a PTS and send you a bill for it without you doing anything. 

1245 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 137

  Reply # 1121640 4-Sep-2014 10:13
One person supports this post
Send private message

Overs and unders even out - the less I have to do with the tax man the better

Mad Scientist
17932 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2231

Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 1121658 4-Sep-2014 10:36
Send private message

this is what I've discovered

from year ending 2013 onwards it's pretty straightforward

prior to that it's a hide and seek game on the website ... but got there in the end

PS wow there were so many tangential replies

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

News »

Stuff Pix enters streaming video market
Posted 21-Mar-2018 09:18

Windows no longer Microsoft’s main focus
Posted 13-Mar-2018 07:47

Why phone makers are obsessed with cameras
Posted 11-Mar-2018 12:25

New Zealand Adopts International Open Data Charter
Posted 3-Mar-2018 12:48

Shipments tumble as NZ phone upgrades slow
Posted 2-Mar-2018 11:48

Oppo R11s: high-end Android, budget price
Posted 27-Feb-2018 16:27

Samsung New Zealand introducing the Galaxy S9 and S9+
Posted 26-Feb-2018 07:00

Fujifilm X beats its best with new top of the range, high-performance camera
Posted 24-Feb-2018 14:05

One million kiwis affected by cybercrime
Posted 24-Feb-2018 13:58

New Zealanders want to engage with government online and via mobile apps
Posted 24-Feb-2018 13:56

Samsung launches Samsung Max
Posted 24-Feb-2018 13:52

CPTPP text and National Interest Analysis released for public scrutiny
Posted 21-Feb-2018 19:43

Foodstuffs to trial digitised shopping trolleys
Posted 21-Feb-2018 18:27

2018: The year of zero-login, smart cars & the biometrics of things
Posted 21-Feb-2018 18:25

Intel reimagines data centre storage with new 3D NAND SSDs
Posted 16-Feb-2018 15:21

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.