driller2000: ... The Waikato will get Auckland through for another 20 years or so - ...
Now is the time to do it. Not in 20 years or so. Reasons for this, in no particular order ...
- The "... or so ..." part can be a lot shorter than 20 yrs.
- people are thinking that after the lvl 4 lockdown period when we had a chance to experience lower traffic, cleaner air, louder birds, now is the time to start green projects
- the govt will get a boost for being forward thinking & working hard to achieve those Paris climate goals
- it'll take years to build
- it'll take years to finetune
- great way to stimulate the economy in a "climate friendly" manner
Yep - planning for infrastructure of this type is planned years / decades ahead as part of their Water Strategy - as per the link below:
One of the issues is that the current drought is looking like it will exceed the 1:200 ARI they had planned for: