nathan:old3eyes:nathan:old3eyes: I succumbed and went and bought a Spark Nokia Lumia 520 off Trademe for $70.. Comments. Easy to set up with Spark SIM. Also tested with 2Degrees SIM . APNs populated OK.. Google and Outlook accounts setup and downloaded OK etc.. Considering that this is a bottom end phone it was quite quick.. Things I liked.
- Double tap to wake up screen,
- Camera button (all phones should have one)
- Dialing keypad nice.
Things I didn’t like.
- That keyboard. After using Swiftkey for the past year or so I find the Windows one somewhat lacking. Mainly no long press second function keys, always having to go to the numeric pad to enter say one number. Microsoft needs to do what Apple has done and open up this part of the OS.
- No Spark app in the app store. Used the web shortcut method that seems to work.
- The 2Degrees app needs a bit of work..
Generally a nice interface and could like with it but will give it another week. One thing. When I go to change the ring tones is there any way of previewing what they sound like?? Will run it passed the wife acceptance factor tonite..
Keyboard, it doesn't sound like you have Windows Phone 8.1 installed?
1. Could you describe the long press second function key. What I do to hit numbers, is touch the &123 button then drag my finger up to number in one swipe
2. try My Telecom app
ringtones do have a preview, just hit the play button to the left of the name
About Phone says "Software Windows Phone 8.1
Thanx for tip on the ring tones. I should have seen that :-)
Long press is when the keypad has a second layer of numbers or symbols under the letter keys. When you hold down the letter key the number etc appears instead. A short press give the letter..
I couldn't find a "My Telecom" or "My Spark" app in the app store..
try the drag finger thing I suggested, it works well if you only have to enter 1 number
I have "My Telecom" and "Your Telecom" installed, not sure why you can't find them, maybe they rebranded them or something
Can't see anything in the app store with the name Telecom and the only Spark one is Spark Roaming app. Maybe the old ones were windows 7 only. I did find that the app WhatsApp complained about not being compatible but did install and works..