Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.
Filter this topic showing only the reply marked as answer View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
1 | 2 


74 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 3


  Reply # 1205470 29-Dec-2014 13:43
Send private message

Ok well i am almost finished a thing for kickstarter but i need some numbers for a budget

be looking for funding for 3 developers and 1 artist is there anyone here in the forums interested in work

I'm thinking 55 to 60k per developer and 50 to 55k for an artist does that sound good to anyone? Won't be the only game we work on either just the first :D

Also if when hiring developers and artists should I get funding for computer hardware too, I have quoted a new Retina 5k for all the trimmings at just over 8k nz and the unity pro licence and 3ds max at around 10 to 12k.


Is there anything else I am going to need too budget for that I don't have here.


Apart from office space, also I live in whitianga so we have to work out how we would all work together.

Any helpfull input welcome specialy someone that knows how to right a good business plan so I can go to more that just kickstarter for funding



74 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 3


  Reply # 1205476 29-Dec-2014 13:50
Send private message

I have been thinking tho instead of everyone moving here since I am in whitianga, it'll be contract work from home and using face time to work together, unless those that are interested want to move to whitianga and I'll pay extra for moving costs

21300 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4299

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 1205480 29-Dec-2014 13:54
Send private message

Have you ever managed a software development project before?




Richard rich.ms

TLD

675 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 148


  Reply # 1205547 29-Dec-2014 15:27
Send private message

JWR:
richms: And its just another me too game from the description.


..and not even any Hobbits.


Really?!!!   Sheeeesh. frown

Here's a plan.  Sell the movie rights up front, and use the money to pay for the development.  Wikipedia says a top game can cost US$35 million to develop, but that's without marketing, so ask for at least NZ$50 million for the movie rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher




Trevor Dennis
Rapaura (near Blenheim)

483 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 286

Trusted

  Reply # 1205552 29-Dec-2014 15:49
Send private message

I wish you well and hope you have some magic that other games don't have.

I can't work out from the description if this is for desktop, for phones or consoles. By comparing with Clash of Clans I am going to assume it's "another iPhone game".

Have you selected your platform and existing game engine? Those will dictate the who and the how of the development. You have not included testers. 

I'm going to suggest that Tetris ( solo developer, some work ) ,Minecraft ( solo developer, lots of work ) and Flappy Bird ( solo developer, very little work ) are exceptional, not the rule. Most decent games require many man years of development. There are many games and the audience has very high expectations and very short attention span. There are also software houses that have the manpower to clone games very quickly, so you might launch on iPhone ( because that's where the money is ) and within a very short period of time find five clones on Android.

And remember, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.



74 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 3


  Reply # 1205618 29-Dec-2014 16:28
Send private message

roobarb: I wish you well and hope you have some magic that other games don't have.

I can't work out from the description if this is for desktop, for phones or consoles. By comparing with Clash of Clans I am going to assume it's "another iPhone game".

Have you selected your platform and existing game engine? Those will dictate the who and the how of the development. You have not included testers. 

I'm going to suggest that Tetris ( solo developer, some work ) ,Minecraft ( solo developer, lots of work ) and Flappy Bird ( solo developer, very little work ) are exceptional, not the rule. Most decent games require many man years of development. There are many games and the audience has very high expectations and very short attention span. There are also software houses that have the manpower to clone games very quickly, so you might launch on iPhone ( because that's where the money is ) and within a very short period of time find five clones on Android.

And remember, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.


I'm not someone thats just come up with an idea I been working on my ideas for the least 2 months and researching different games and things that are already out there.

Now thats the type of helpful reply I like someone not shooting me down.

Yes I have picked the unity engine and we will be starting with Iphone, ipod and ipad first with maybe a webplay to on our website there will be ofc alliances with ranking system and a player rank system too. As of yet I have never seen or heard of this variation of game based around a clash of clans style graphics layout, it is how every been used for many text base web games but none have graphics to go with.

As for the planning of the game itself I have I have the buildings listed with what they do, how you get you gold and recruits for you army, what races there are, how you will attack and make war with other players and alliances and have already decided on in app purchase. Not thinking really of testers till I have something too test.


I have actually played many of the web base text versions and they do keep my attention I miss the graphics of a iOS and Android games

 



74 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 3


  Reply # 1205621 29-Dec-2014 16:31
Send private message

richms: Have you ever managed a software development project before?



Most people that make games these days have never been software development manages before alot of games these days are made in a garage with a team of randoms building it and I have played many high quality games that have come for no bodies and are top of the charts.


Please stop posting here it all your going to do is be negative 



74 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 3


  Reply # 1208337 5-Jan-2015 10:02
Send private message

OK so am going for this funding but I need some input from developers and the software they are trained in these days, I was thinking 3ds Max but that is not on OS-X so than I have to use Maya

So my really question is

Should I use 3ds Max or Maya, or should I just get a mac and windows computer to have both at hand?

1 | 2 
Filter this topic showing only the reply marked as answer View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

Intel introduces new NUC kits and NUC mini PCs
Posted 16-Aug-2018 11:03


The Warehouse leaps into the AI future with Google
Posted 15-Aug-2018 17:56


Targus set sights on enterprise and consumer growth in New Zealand
Posted 13-Aug-2018 13:47


Huawei to distribute nova 3i in New Zealand
Posted 9-Aug-2018 16:23


Home robot Vector to be available in New Zealand stores
Posted 9-Aug-2018 14:47


Panasonic announces new 2018 OLED TV line up
Posted 7-Aug-2018 16:38


Kordia completes first live 4K TV broadcast
Posted 1-Aug-2018 13:00


Schools get safer and smarter internet with Managed Network Upgrade
Posted 30-Jul-2018 20:01


DNC wants a safer .nz in the coming year
Posted 26-Jul-2018 16:08


Auldhouse becomes an AWS Authorised Training Delivery Partner in New Zealand
Posted 26-Jul-2018 15:55


Rakuten Kobo launches Kobo Clara HD entry level reader
Posted 26-Jul-2018 15:44


Kiwi team reaches semi-finals at the Microsoft Imagine Cup
Posted 26-Jul-2018 15:38


KidsCan App to Help Kiwi Children in Need
Posted 26-Jul-2018 15:32


FUJIFILM announces new high-performance lenses
Posted 24-Jul-2018 14:57


New FUJIFILM XF10 introduces square mode for Instagram sharing
Posted 24-Jul-2018 14:44



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.