Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.


View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | 160
167 posts

Master Geek


  Reply # 352713 17-Jul-2010 16:23
Send private message

yeah should be good. are you going on plan? :p yea im going into debt to buy this phone, no lie. intrest free loans are great... thank god im a student.

2708 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 236

Trusted

  Reply # 352748 17-Jul-2010 17:35
Send private message

ChrnoXIII: yeah should be good. are you going on plan? :p yea im going into debt to buy this phone, no lie. intrest free loans are great... thank god im a student.



Nope.  Prepay... buying outright most likely from Apple direct. 




Check out my LPFM Radio Station at www.thecheese.co.nz cool


 
 
 
 


230 posts

Master Geek


  Reply # 352771 17-Jul-2010 18:31
Send private message

2-yr plan with $80/month approx for me! :)
Can't wait! :)

1126 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 116

Trusted

  Reply # 353398 19-Jul-2010 13:57
Send private message

I am constantly amazed by the amount of people who have never used an iPhone 4 that troll forums bagging it and mocking it. Yes, let's mock the most successful smartphone of all time because, hey, it must be garbage, right? Surely nobody that has bought one has ever done so on informed choice or free will, it is all because Apple have brainwashed them. Those fools!

I *have* used an iPhone 4 in New Zealand and I was not able to replicate the death-grip issue. I am sure that I will experience it maybe once or twice in my lifetime once I have bought mine, but then I am sure that I would rather put up with this very minor possibility of inconvenience than I would deal with the risk of buying an Android phone without any guarantee that I will even get the next version of the OS, or that - heavens above! - I might experience the exact same issue. Couple it with the complete end-to-end experience and integration that only the iPhone will ever be capable of delivering and you start to see why Apple have sold more than 3,000,000 of these things in just a few weeks.

There's nothing uglier than people with iEnvy.

3416 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 692

Trusted

  Reply # 353407 19-Jul-2010 14:09
Send private message

steve98: I am constantly amazed by the amount of people who have never used an iPhone 4 that troll forums bagging it and mocking it. Yes, let's mock the most successful smartphone of all time because, hey, it must be garbage, right? Surely nobody that has bought one has ever done so on informed choice or free will, it is all because Apple have brainwashed them. Those fools!

I *have* used an iPhone 4 in New Zealand and I was not able to replicate the death-grip issue. I am sure that I will experience it maybe once or twice in my lifetime once I have bought mine, but then I am sure that I would rather put up with this very minor possibility of inconvenience than I would deal with the risk of buying an Android phone without any guarantee that I will even get the next version of the OS, or that - heavens above! - I might experience the exact same issue. Couple it with the complete end-to-end experience and integration that only the iPhone will ever be capable of delivering and you start to see why Apple have sold more than 3,000,000 of these things in just a few weeks.

There's nothing uglier than people with iEnvy.


i disagree, im a huge apple fan, i have the iphone 3g, macbook pro, imac, and ive owned macbooks, ipod etc.

i was excited about the iphone 4, was going to get one, but there is a design flaw, apple have admitted this.  i still want one, but i wont be buying one until its been fixed, im sure they will redesign it a little in the coming months to fix this issue  (just like the xbox360 has been improved upon again and again).  but they were never going to do a recall for the amount of phones they sold.
if you use a bumper the problem goes away and if your happy with that solution, good.  but im not, ill just wait and see.  the best thing about the iphone is the apps and internet, they still work fine on my 3g (although a little slow, but ill wait).

cant wait for the ipads though, ill be buying one on release day. 

1126 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 116

Trusted

  Reply # 353432 19-Jul-2010 15:10
Send private message

reven: i was excited about the iphone 4, was going to get one, but there is a design flaw, apple have admitted this.  i still want one, but i wont be buying one until its been fixed,


Wow, seriously? If you want one, why wouldn't you buy one and then take up Apple's offer of a refund should you find the antenna issue affects you. See, this is what I don't get: data shows the issue has affected around 0.5% of people who have bought one, yet people are still going along with the media-driven perception that this is a big deal that affects all people.

You've now got a set-in-stone offer on the table from Apple that you can buy one, try it out, and return it with no questions asked within 30 days. You don't have to prove it, you don't have to jump through hoops. They're putting their money with their mouth is - why wouldn't you try it for yourself? Like I said, I have used one and I was unable to replicate it.

3416 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 692

Trusted

  Reply # 353437 19-Jul-2010 15:15
Send private message

they admitted its a design problem, they arent denying it.
i always use my phone via the "death grip", its how i browse the net, my office has crappy reception for my phone, i only get 1 bar. using 1 bar + death grip will mean death.

ill wait until the fix the issue, a free bumper is nice, and im glad they are doing it, but it doesnt fix the problem, it merely covers it.

0.55% of people have called apple and complained, the other 99.45% of people had their calls drop.



Awesome
4841 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1097

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 353439 19-Jul-2010 15:21
Send private message

reven: 0.55% of people have called apple and complained, the other 99.45% of people had their calls drop.


Yeah right, there are ALOT of people that can't replicate the issue no matter how hard they try. What you are saying is that 100% of people have had a call drop but less than 1% admit it?

Oh well, one less person to compete with for stock then I guess ;)




Twitter: ajobbins


1126 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 116

Trusted

  Reply # 353444 19-Jul-2010 15:29
Send private message

reven:0.55% of people have called apple and complained, the other 99.45% of people had their calls drop.


Huh? How on earth at you arriving at that conclusion??

3416 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 692

Trusted

  Reply # 353446 19-Jul-2010 15:30
Send private message

ajobbins:
reven: 0.55% of people have called apple and complained, the other 99.45% of people had their calls drop.


Yeah right, there are ALOT of people that can't replicate the issue no matter how hard they try. What you are saying is that 100% of people have had a call drop but less than 1% admit it?

Oh well, one less person to compete with for stock then I guess ;)


that was a joke, take a look at all the videos on youtube and see how their transfer speeds drop by holding it that way.  are you telling me all those are fake and media hype?

shortly after the problem was the iphone was announced, apple starting looking for a cellphone antenna expert on their job site.

they arent denying the problem, its there.  why is it a surprise that some people (like myself), would rather just wait until they fix it before buying one? 



Awesome
4841 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1097

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 353448 19-Jul-2010 15:33
Send private message

reven: they arent denying the problem, its there.  why is it a surprise that some people (like myself), would rather just wait until they fix it before buying one? 


This is about as big a problem as Bird Flu or SARS




Twitter: ajobbins


1126 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 116

Trusted

  Reply # 353457 19-Jul-2010 15:39
Send private message

reven: they admitted its a design problem, they arent denying it.


Did you watch the video or did you just digest Faifax's interpretation of it? Jobs never once put his hands up and said "There's a problem with the design of the iPhone 4." He has not admitted to a flaw in the design of the phone. What he said was "Smartphones have weak spots. That's life." He then demonstrated that many other popular smartphones do the same thing. This wasn't an admission of a flaw specific to the iPhone that could have been avoided, this was an acknowledgment that smartphones are inherently flawed -- including your existing iPhone 3G!

As far as Apple are concerned, this is a bunch of hoopla over nothing, and that it's an issue that every smartphone has. He even said "the only thing we did wrong is we put a line there - X marks the spot!"

Anybody who wants to buy an iPhone 4 and is still put off by the media is a lost cause. Many of the people who go along with this story couldn't even tell you what a Smartphone *is* (people like the talk-back radio mob who will also tell you their broadband is too slow yet wouldn't even have any concept of how fast it currently is) and couldn't even name a model of any other smartphone than the iPhone. This is simply a case of Apple being a victim of their own success.


BDFL - Memuneh
62703 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 13387

Administrator
Trusted
Geekzone
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 353461 19-Jul-2010 15:52
Send private message

steve98: He has not admitted to a flaw in the design of the phone. What he said was "Smartphones have weak spots. That's life." He then demonstrated that many other popular smartphones do the same thing. This wasn't an admission of a flaw specific to the iPhone that could have been avoided, this was an acknowledgment that smartphones are inherently flawed -- including your existing iPhone 3G!


No, not "smartphones are inherently flawed", but "smartphones [with antennas at the bottom] are inherently flawed".

Did you read Nokia's response?

"Antenna design is a complex subject and has been a core competence at Nokia for decades, across hundreds of phone models. Nokia was the pioneer in internal antennas; the Nokia 8810, launched in 1998, was the first commercial phone with this feature. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying human behavior, including how people hold their phones for calls, music playing, web browsing and so on. As you would expect from a company focused on connecting people, we prioritize antenna performance over physical design if they are ever in conflict. "

"In general, antenna performance of a mobile device/phone may be affected with a tight grip, depending on how the device is held. That’s why Nokia designs our phones to ensure acceptable performance in all real life cases, for example when the phone is held in either hand. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying how people hold their phones and allows for this in designs, for example by having antennas both at the top and bottom of the phone and by careful selection of materials and their use in the mechanical design."







581 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 200

Subscriber

  Reply # 353466 19-Jul-2010 16:03
Send private message

freitasm: No, not "smartphones are inherently flawed", but "smartphones [with antennas at the bottom] are inherently flawed".


I was under the impression that the antenna being at the bottom is a FCC requirement?

1126 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 116

Trusted

  Reply # 353507 19-Jul-2010 17:04
Send private message

freitasm:

No, not "smartphones are inherently flawed", but "smartphones [with antennas at the bottom] are inherently flawed".



Nope... one of the smartphones they drew comparisons to was the HTC Droid Eris whose antenna is at the top of the phone. You can see it circled at http://www.apple.com/antenna/


1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | 160
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic


Donate via Givealittle


Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

Amazon introduces new Kindle with adjustable front light
Posted 21-Mar-2019 20:14


A call from the companies providing internet access for the great majority of New Zealanders, to the companies with the greatest influence over social media content
Posted 19-Mar-2019 15:21


Two e-scooter companies selected for Wellington trial
Posted 15-Mar-2019 17:33


GeForce GTX 1660 available now
Posted 15-Mar-2019 08:47


Artificial Intelligence to double the rate of innovation in New Zealand by 2021
Posted 13-Mar-2019 14:47


LG demonstrates smart home concepts at LG InnoFest
Posted 13-Mar-2019 14:45


New Zealanders buying more expensive smartphones
Posted 11-Mar-2019 09:52


2degrees Offers Amazon Prime Video to Broadband Customers
Posted 8-Mar-2019 14:10


D-Link ANZ launches D-Fend AC2600 Wi-Fi Router Protected by McAfee
Posted 7-Mar-2019 11:09


Slingshot commissions celebrities to design new modems
Posted 5-Mar-2019 08:58


Symantec Annual Threat Report reveals more ambitious, destructive and stealthy attacks
Posted 28-Feb-2019 10:14


FUJIFILM launches high performing X-T30
Posted 28-Feb-2019 09:40


Netflix is killing content piracy says research
Posted 28-Feb-2019 09:33


Trend Micro finds shifting threats require kiwis to rethink security priorities
Posted 28-Feb-2019 09:27


Mainfreight uses Spark IoT Asset Tracking service
Posted 28-Feb-2019 09:25



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.


Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.