Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.


View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
1 | ... | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49
320 posts

Ultimate Geek


  #389860 9-Oct-2010 13:30

youtube is very slow right now.. about 60kB/s ...

49 posts

Geek


  #389912 9-Oct-2010 16:45
Send private message

^ yip mine too

 
 
 
 


62 posts

Master Geek


  #390191 10-Oct-2010 17:05
Send private message

I imagine Kordia wished they never bought Orcon.

1828 posts

Uber Geek
Inactive user


  #391047 12-Oct-2010 17:51
Send private message

I just wish the Govt would step in and regulate by tell ISP's you must provide no less than 10mbps for each customer no matter the time of day or where it's coming from local or international

just ran the youtube d/l test and it would seem that orcon is caching it


320 posts

Ultimate Geek


  #391048 12-Oct-2010 17:54

why stop there, 1Gbps FTTH with guaranteed capacity!

One can dream....

2 posts

Wannabe Geek


  #391068 12-Oct-2010 19:36
Send private message

alliao: Those inside cache are fine, loads up at 1MB/s easily, but those outside the cache aren't so lucky, basically unstreamable...if there's such a word.


Maybe they need to run the YouTube video through the PeerApp cache...Google Cache is free but you get what you pay for!

1828 posts

Uber Geek
Inactive user


  #391090 12-Oct-2010 21:38
Send private message

well they need to do something that's for sure because as it is it's just pathetic, I've noticed that since being cabinetised the speed between me in Napier and them in Auckland has slowed to a third of what it was just a few months ago

I was averaging 12.96mbps between here and there it's now fallen to a piffling 4.7mbps

 
 
 
 


2 posts

Wannabe Geek


  #391120 12-Oct-2010 23:02
Send private message

Athlonite: well they need to do something that's for sure because as it is it's just pathetic, I've noticed that since being cabinetised the speed between me in Napier and them in Auckland has slowed to a third of what it was just a few months ago

I was averaging 12.96mbps between here and there it's now fallen to a piffling 4.7mbps


Maybe they should consider edge caching such as this BTI product that was just announced:
http://www.btisystems.com/news/releases/2010/09/video-at-the-edge-content-aware-networking.php

It seems to cache the video dynamically and transparently right at the edge...they could put one in each POP around the country and really speed things up.

34 posts

Geek


  #394128 20-Oct-2010 20:26

Well, a week has passed (maybe almost two now) with only minor occasional latency in the evenings, but today someone has hit the speed cut switch again and it's back to dial-up grade rubbish. 0.9-1.2mbs into Auckland, barely 0.4 to anywhere past the US coast.

Same stuff that's been happening on and off for three months now. And, of course, support are still convinced it's the lines and nothing on Orcon's end. Doesn't matter if everything's fine 95% of the time and the speed decreases are an exact, quick drop vs a gradual degradation, still the lines. Doesn't matter that it fixes itself after a few hours most of the time, still the lines. Can't check anything on their end, too hard, always the lines.

Time to give up on getting a decent connection here/actually getting help from Orcon support people. 

89 posts

Master Geek


  #394182 20-Oct-2010 23:16
Send private message

yozshiku: Well, a week has passed (maybe almost two now) with only minor occasional latency in the evenings, but today someone has hit the speed cut switch again and it's back to dial-up grade rubbish. 0.9-1.2mbs into Auckland, barely 0.4 to anywhere past the US coast.


Yep same here. Whenever the goslow switch is flipped where you are, it's the same where I am.
The start and stop times of the goslow's match exactly.


I expect it'll be right by morning... 

34 posts

Geek


  #394185 20-Oct-2010 23:27

samgab:Yep same here. Whenever the goslow switch is flipped where you are, it's the same where I am.
The start and stop times of the goslow's match exactly.


I expect it'll be right by morning... 


Pretty much. It's the fortnightly switch flipping, or some such. Wouldn't be surprised if it was like this in the evenings or even earlier for a few days before going back to normal.

And to be fair, "normal" has been pretty decent lately, with only minor congestion some evenings. It's just too bad it's only normal 95% of the time, and the other 5% is this form of completely debilitating slow down.

320 posts

Ultimate Geek


  #394188 20-Oct-2010 23:30

it's midweek holiday! everyone's online i suppose..

anyway, early night for me.

and yes, this is ridiculous. 360kbps.... good old days of 2003.

I can still upload!

 

89 posts

Master Geek


  #394205 21-Oct-2010 01:15
Send private message

yozshiku: 

Pretty much. It's the fortnightly switch flipping, or some such. Wouldn't be surprised if it was like this in the evenings or even earlier for a few days before going back to normal.

And to be fair, "normal" has been pretty decent lately, with only minor congestion some evenings. It's just too bad it's only normal 95% of the time, and the other 5% is this form of completely debilitating slow down.


When we talk of "switch flipping"... I think this graph demonstrates what we mean:
 
This is international speed. You'll see that I'm getting an adequate 7-8 Mbps most of the time, but when it drops, it just DROPS, there is no gradual tapering off. This is NOT due to excess traffic or the lines or whatever, or there would be a gradual taper, but it's BANG, it suddenly goes, then just as quickly returns... (Though it has yet to do so this morning, but I'm sure it'll happen anytime now.) 
And yes, if it's following the previous pattern, it will happen again in the evenings for another couple of days and then come right. Someone knows what is going on, and I wish they would talk to us.

481 posts

Ultimate Geek


  #394228 21-Oct-2010 08:07
Send private message

I just tried a speedtest to wxc's node in Auckland (I'm in Auckland too). I got a terrible result, 0.68Mb/s down and 0.80Mb/s up (I usually get 20Mbit down and 1Mbit up).

I figured it was a problem with the transit from orcon -> wxc, but decided to do a ping anyway:

Tracing route to www.wxc.co.nz [58.28.6.142]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.254
2 433 ms 462 ms 498 ms lo1.ras1.nct.orcon.net.nz [60.234.8.201]
3 419 ms 460 ms 458 ms ge-0-0-4-0.cre2.nct.orcon.net.nz [121.98.9.5]
4 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms 121.98.9.146
5 6 ms 6 ms 7 ms 121.98.9.142
6 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms 121.98.9.141
7 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms wxc1.ape.net.nz [192.203.154.108]
8 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms ge-0-0-1-akl-fw01.wxnz.net [58.28.160.2]
9 8 ms 8 ms 7 ms plexy.wxnz.net [58.28.6.142]

There's something majorly wrong wtih that picture. I shouldn't be seeing a ping like that inside orcon's network.

33 posts

Geek


  #394247 21-Oct-2010 08:56
Send private message

Last night and this morning was pretty bad and slow browsing on Orcon over on the North Shore, Beach Haven. I saw lots of timeouts when I pinged www.orcon.net.nz ... hope this is just temporary!




1 | ... | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic




News »

Freeview On Demand app launches on Sony Android TVs
Posted 6-Aug-2020 13:35


UFB hits more than one million connections
Posted 6-Aug-2020 09:42


D-Link A/NZ extends COVR Wi-Fi EasyMesh System series with new three-pack
Posted 4-Aug-2020 15:01


New Zealand software Rfider tracks coffee from Colombia all the way to New Zealand businesses
Posted 3-Aug-2020 10:35


Logitech G launches Pro X Wireless gaming headset
Posted 3-Aug-2020 10:21


Sony Alpha 7S III provides supreme imaging performance
Posted 3-Aug-2020 10:11


Sony introduces first CFexpress Type A memory card
Posted 3-Aug-2020 10:05


Marsello acquires Goody consolidating online and in-store marketing position
Posted 30-Jul-2020 16:26


Fonterra first major customer for Microsoft's New Zealand datacentre
Posted 30-Jul-2020 08:07


Everything we learnt at the IBM Cloud Forum 2020
Posted 29-Jul-2020 14:45


Dropbox launches native HelloSign workflow and data residency in Australia
Posted 29-Jul-2020 12:48


Spark launches 5G in Palmerston North
Posted 29-Jul-2020 09:50


Lenovo brings speed and smarter features to new 5G mobile gaming phone
Posted 28-Jul-2020 22:00


Withings raises $60 million to enable bridge between patients and healthcare
Posted 28-Jul-2020 21:51


QNAP integrates Catalyst Cloud Object Storage into Hybrid Backup solution
Posted 28-Jul-2020 21:40



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.


Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.