This is a technical support thread for Orcon to ask it's customers for data or specific feedback.
So please no generic comments about Orcon or your frustrations. It just distracts from the business of deducing cause and effect. Thanks :)
* It appears that two way streaming services/applications are not recieving a stable rate of latency during peak hours, for Orcon customers.
1) Gamers getting lag spikes during play. In-game latency meters swinging from 200ms to 10,000ms ping. Doesn't necessarily relate to in-game activity (meter can jump when players are inactive with no environmental changes occuring)
2) Some disconnection from game servers following extended lag periods (prob just server rejecting due to percieved no-reply)
3) Voice software (Ventrillo, Teamspeak, Skype) across all sorts of servers getting delays, broken speech, and conversation lag of 1-3 minuutes.
4) Video conferencing software (only heard of Skype so far) experiencing same issue as in point 2.
Issues have been reported by...
1) Orcon customers on both 'new' and old plans
2) I have seen some similar complaints from Xnet customers, but not as many
3) Many Kiwis on alternative ISPs using these same services report having no problems at all.
Discussions in play that might be useful (threads)
1) Geekzone (of course). This very thread :)
2) GP forums. http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?s=8e551316b2d072843c349438ca53566d&postid=5154188#post5154188
Pyronical is heading up a great effort to collate traceroute information if that is helpful to you. There are other GP threads but this seems the most constructive.
3) NZDSL. http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-313-start-15-sid-045b9a3b226b1c4efc370efde05af1b5.phtml
Introduces Teamspeak as also experiencing the same issues
5) http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=24556 AoC latency spikes appear to be widespread across ISPs and countries, so may not be suitable for analysis in this thread.
Let us know how we can best help out with testing and feedback through this particular thread, and we'll do our best to cross post and bring everyone together get get whatever data you need.