smac:bazzer: What are you using to watch your Freeview|HD? It doesn't have any problems?
Nothing, so no, no problems! I actually watch very little TV so I'm not prepared to pay $250 for 2 channels and better resolution/reception. I already have a DVD recorder so what I would be after would be an EPG recorder....otherwise the benefits don't outweigh the costs (for me, I realise others watch more TV so have different priorities).
The options for me at this point seem to be:
$1000 for the Zinwell...not gonna happen.
Wait for the Sommet....still waiting for an email let alone a product
Wait for the Vantage to get MHEG5...they're working on it but no dates
Wait for the ET.......
$500+ for the Hyundai.....don't have a dish and don't want one...makes it a $700 unit and I don't value TV that highly.
I relaise other people have other priorities and different prices they go for etc, this is just my position.
I hear you smac. Pickings are very slim out there at the moment for people in our position
Whoever is first coming up with a functional low cost DVB-T STB with PVR functions in the next month or two is going to have a lot of customers. Expecially with the geeks who have surplus HDDs lying around
The only real alternative to the apparently buggy $1000 Zinwell MyFreeview box at the moment is building your own Vista MCE unit. Cost wise, you're not going to get much change out of $800-$1000 and it is out of most peoples technical skills to get the it working properly with the xml imports for the PVR as there is no native support for NZ channel guides. However, you get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck in the long run, and it is proven to work.
Personally I don't really have the inclination or the money to build up an MCE box, and a STB with PVR functions is all I really require. That is the whole reason I bought this ET box. If I had known that it was going to take this long, and not the 2 weeks I was quoted in November, I think I would have just bitten the bullet, and would have had one up and running by mid-December.
I can't wait forever, and If the update does not show up in Feb as promised, I will be seeking a refund and going down this path.