Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

2 posts

Wannabe Geek

Topic # 95101 27-Dec-2011 17:18
Send private message

Hi all,

We've recently purchased a fairly new house, only a few years old. On the roof is a satellite dish and a UHF aerial, Sky is connected to the disk and works fine. All rooms have the satellite wall connection, the type you use with Sky TV.

I've checked the Freeview website and it says it's "very likely" we'll be able to get Freeview HD with UHF.

So we're looking at getting a second TV for the bedroom. However what I'm not sure about is the connection types in the bedrooms. With them all being the satellite type connections, how do they work if you want to plug in a TV with a Freeview tuner built in? Do you need to get a set top box to plug in, in which case no need to buy a tuner built in TV. Or can you get some kind of converter to change the satellite type connector to a UHF aerial connector to plug into the back of the TV?

And this is all assuming the UHF aerial on the roof is actually connected.

Your help is much appreciated. 

Create new topic
994 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 93

  Reply # 561915 27-Dec-2011 17:39
Send private message

you need to establish if the uhf antenna is wired to the outlets in each room (it is possible for the satellite and uhf antenna to share the same outlet).
If not, then you'll need to work out some way of getting the uhf wire into the bedroom.
No extra set top boxes required unless you don't want to hook up the uhf antenna and instead use the satellite freeview feed.

27476 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 6942

Biddle Corp
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 561921 27-Dec-2011 17:54
Send private message

I assume when you say "satellite" connector you mean an F connector. These are infact pretty much the standard these days for all TV connectors and they're far superior to old PAL Belling Lee connectors.

You're going to need to establish if these connectors run to the UHF aerial or satellite dish. If they run to the UHF aerial you just need to buy an F to Belling Lee cable to hook it up to your TV or STB.


1943 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 130

  Reply # 561922 27-Dec-2011 17:55
Send private message

mitch980: Hi all,

Or can you get some kind of converter to change the satellite type connector to a UHF aerial connector to plug into the back of the TV?

Something like this on the end of a lead with f connectors each end.

They're also available at Bunnings and Mitre 10 and probably a lot of $2 shops.

You can also get short leads with f connector one end (for the wallplate) and Pal connector the other end (for the TV).

2 posts

Wannabe Geek

  Reply # 561941 27-Dec-2011 18:36
Send private message

Awesome, thanks heaps for the info everyone!

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.