Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
2736 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 369

Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 1144443 30-Sep-2014 18:26
Send private message

My domains are now active. Still didn't find anywhere that said today was go live day....




My views (except when I am looking out their windows) are not those of my employer.

21546 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4393

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 1144458 30-Sep-2014 18:42
Send private message

Registered for work today with first domains and it's resolving on the first domains ns ok but nothing on works dns server. Is that likely to be high load slowing down updates?




Richard rich.ms



BDFL - Memuneh
61517 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 12239

Administrator
Trusted
Geekzone
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 1144460 30-Sep-2014 18:47
Send private message

The .nz registry is being updated hourly only. If you checked the domains from your browser then the DNS chain (your ISP, your router, your proxy, your PC) all have a No Result there and might take some time for all of them to update after the registry is updated.





14417 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1887


  Reply # 1144463 30-Sep-2014 18:56
Send private message

Just a note about .nz domains which are conflicted. The way I understand it, due to the way it is being done, and no .nz domain extension having preference over another, it is likely that many of the most popular .co.nz domains will never become .nz domains, as more than one party may want the  shorter domain.
 
I have a client who has a conflicted domain. I have recorded that we want to register the shorter domain on the anyname website, but who is going to contact the other party about it? Are we supposed to, they may not even know about it and think it is some form of scam etc.

Apparently according to the anyname website registrars are supposed to be contacting conflicted users, but I have read here that some people haven't been contacted at all by their registrar about these changes. The anyname website does say

If you have a conflicted domain name you can expect to be contacted by your Registrar and directed to the anyname.nz website (anyname.nz/manage) where you can select one of the following preferences: 

Anyone else dealing with conflicted domains?





BDFL - Memuneh
61517 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 12239

Administrator
Trusted
Geekzone
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 1144470 30-Sep-2014 19:21
Send private message

Why not lookup WHOIS and contact the other party directly, enter an agreement and ask for them to go to anyname and give the authorisation for others to use it? If you recorded your interest first then it will automatically hand it to you.





1499 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 173


  Reply # 1144718 1-Oct-2014 11:25
Send private message

I reserved all my domain names, except for one which was in conflict.  I've registered an interest to get my conflicted name, but I'm not sure if I'm meant to contact the other owner or if the DNC will do it or what.  It makes sense for the DNC to do it otherwise we run the risk of the other party thinking my email is a scam or something.

3290 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 209

Trusted

  Reply # 1144912 1-Oct-2014 15:50
Send private message

I wasn't able to get the .co.nz or .net.nz version of a domain that I wanted and I hesitated over getting a .geek.nz or .kiwi.nz version. I'd like to get the .nz version but obviously, it's conflicted and I'm not in the mix since I didn't have a .nz prior to 30 May 2012.

What are my options now? It seems a bit rubbish that one of the current holders could block it, even if they don't want it for themselves (if I understand the options correctly). If I just wait, and they don't do anything, does it eventually become available?

I guess another option is to contact the current holders and find out what they are intending to do and try and come to an agreement with one of them to pass it on to me? Is that an option?

1499 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 173


  Reply # 1144917 1-Oct-2014 16:00
Send private message

bazzer: I wasn't able to get the .co.nz or .net.nz version of a domain that I wanted and I hesitated over getting a .geek.nz or .kiwi.nz version. I'd like to get the .nz version but obviously, it's conflicted and I'm not in the mix since I didn't have a .nz prior to 30 May 2012.

What are my options now? It seems a bit rubbish that one of the current holders could block it, even if they don't want it for themselves (if I understand the options correctly). If I just wait, and they don't do anything, does it eventually become available?

I guess another option is to contact the current holders and find out what they are intending to do and try and come to an agreement with one of them to pass it on to me? Is that an option?

I believe that after 30th March 2016 then anyone can register a .nz even if it's in conflict with another domain name.  So one option you have is to wait till then.

Otherwise you can contact the owner of the conflicting domain name and ask if they will give up their right to it.  They can do this by going to anyname.org.nz and managing their domain name to say they want to give up any rights to the .nz version.  Of course notifying the owner will draw attention to the fact that you're interested and they might try to sell you the right to get the .nz version.



BDFL - Memuneh
61517 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 12239

Administrator
Trusted
Geekzone
Lifetime subscriber

Stu

Hammered
5084 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1072

Moderator
Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 1144937 1-Oct-2014 16:30
Send private message

MurrayM:
bazzer: I wasn't able to get the .co.nz or .net.nz version of a domain that I wanted and I hesitated over getting a .geek.nz or .kiwi.nz version. I'd like to get the .nz version but obviously, it's conflicted and I'm not in the mix since I didn't have a .nz prior to 30 May 2012.

What are my options now? It seems a bit rubbish that one of the current holders could block it, even if they don't want it for themselves (if I understand the options correctly). If I just wait, and they don't do anything, does it eventually become available?

I guess another option is to contact the current holders and find out what they are intending to do and try and come to an agreement with one of them to pass it on to me? Is that an option?

I believe that after 30th March 2016 then anyone can register a .nz even if it's in conflict with another domain name.  So one option you have is to wait till then.

Otherwise you can contact the owner of the conflicting domain name and ask if they will give up their right to it.  They can do this by going to anyname.org.nz and managing their domain name to say they want to give up any rights to the .nz version.  Of course notifying the owner will draw attention to the fact that you're interested and they might try to sell you the right to get the .nz version.


From anyname.org.nz

"It’s important to know however that if you’ve not registered your reserved name by 1pm, 30 September 2016 it will become available for anyone to register."




Keep calm, and carry on posting.

 

 

 

Click to see full size Click to see full size


1499 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 173


  Reply # 1144939 1-Oct-2014 16:32
Send private message

BigHammer:
MurrayM:
bazzer: I wasn't able to get the .co.nz or .net.nz version of a domain that I wanted and I hesitated over getting a .geek.nz or .kiwi.nz version. I'd like to get the .nz version but obviously, it's conflicted and I'm not in the mix since I didn't have a .nz prior to 30 May 2012.

What are my options now? It seems a bit rubbish that one of the current holders could block it, even if they don't want it for themselves (if I understand the options correctly). If I just wait, and they don't do anything, does it eventually become available?

I guess another option is to contact the current holders and find out what they are intending to do and try and come to an agreement with one of them to pass it on to me? Is that an option?

I believe that after 30th March 2016 then anyone can register a .nz even if it's in conflict with another domain name.  So one option you have is to wait till then.

Otherwise you can contact the owner of the conflicting domain name and ask if they will give up their right to it.  They can do this by going to anyname.org.nz and managing their domain name to say they want to give up any rights to the .nz version.  Of course notifying the owner will draw attention to the fact that you're interested and they might try to sell you the right to get the .nz version.


From anyname.org.nz

"It’s important to know however that if you’ve not registered your reserved name by 1pm, 30 September 2016 it will become available for anyone to register."

Ah, right.  30th March 2016 is the final day of the Preferential Registration Eligibility (PRE) period.

Stu

Hammered
5084 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1072

Moderator
Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 1144941 1-Oct-2014 16:35
Send private message

freitasm:

 

 

 



Is this something that needs to be manually accounted for the world over or can it be populated from a master list somewhere?




Keep calm, and carry on posting.

 

 

 

Click to see full size Click to see full size


3290 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 209

Trusted

  Reply # 1144944 1-Oct-2014 16:38
Send private message

MurrayM:
bazzer: I wasn't able to get the .co.nz or .net.nz version of a domain that I wanted and I hesitated over getting a .geek.nz or .kiwi.nz version. I'd like to get the .nz version but obviously, it's conflicted and I'm not in the mix since I didn't have a .nz prior to 30 May 2012.

What are my options now? It seems a bit rubbish that one of the current holders could block it, even if they don't want it for themselves (if I understand the options correctly). If I just wait, and they don't do anything, does it eventually become available?

I guess another option is to contact the current holders and find out what they are intending to do and try and come to an agreement with one of them to pass it on to me? Is that an option?

Of course notifying the owner will draw attention to the fact that you're interested and they might try to sell you the right to get the .nz version.

This is exactly how I lost the .co.nz in the first place! :(

14417 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1887


  Reply # 1144961 1-Oct-2014 17:20
Send private message

MurrayM:
BigHammer:
MurrayM:
bazzer: I wasn't able to get the .co.nz or .net.nz version of a domain that I wanted and I hesitated over getting a .geek.nz or .kiwi.nz version. I'd like to get the .nz version but obviously, it's conflicted and I'm not in the mix since I didn't have a .nz prior to 30 May 2012.

What are my options now? It seems a bit rubbish that one of the current holders could block it, even if they don't want it for themselves (if I understand the options correctly). If I just wait, and they don't do anything, does it eventually become available?

I guess another option is to contact the current holders and find out what they are intending to do and try and come to an agreement with one of them to pass it on to me? Is that an option?

I believe that after 30th March 2016 then anyone can register a .nz even if it's in conflict with another domain name.  So one option you have is to wait till then.

Otherwise you can contact the owner of the conflicting domain name and ask if they will give up their right to it.  They can do this by going to anyname.org.nz and managing their domain name to say they want to give up any rights to the .nz version.  Of course notifying the owner will draw attention to the fact that you're interested and they might try to sell you the right to get the .nz version.


From anyname.org.nz

"It’s important to know however that if you’ve not registered your reserved name by 1pm, 30 September 2016 it will become available for anyone to register."

Ah, right.  30th March 2016 is the final day of the Preferential Registration Eligibility (PRE) period.


That is the last day of the reservation period, if you reserve the PRR domain for 2 years. However I don't beleive that is the last day that conflicted domains will stay conflicted before they become available to anyone. This is because I did read on the anyname website, that it does say that if domains remain conflicted and it is never resolved, they may never become available. But some clarification from the Domain Commissioner would be good on this as some of their documentation is vague and conflicting itself.

14417 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1887


  Reply # 1144965 1-Oct-2014 17:27
Send private message

MurrayM: I reserved all my domain names, except for one which was in conflict.  I've registered an interest to get my conflicted name, but I'm not sure if I'm meant to contact the other owner or if the DNC will do it or what.  It makes sense for the DNC to do it otherwise we run the risk of the other party thinking my email is a scam or something.

Yes this is exactly the issue  I am having with some clients. It doesn't look as though the DNC will be contacting them. If my client contacts the other domai ownerm they could (a) think is is a scam
(b) Try to sell them the domain rights via negotiation
(c) Refuse to let it go and also want to claim the rights for the .nz

One of my clietns has a pretty good .co.nz domain which they registered in the 90's and it is conflicted by a .org registered about 4 years ago. If sold in the open market, the .co.nz would have a large value in IP, compared to the .org, but it is conflicted so they can't get  the shorter domain, and I am pondering what they should do. It appears that if there is a conflict, and both parties want it,  that they could be forced to a tribunal which potentially could cost some coin. Also as it involves my time in helping them, I don't know if I should be charging to help those clients, or just send them to the anyname website to sort it out themselves.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.