Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
1 | 2 
1937 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 125


  Reply # 477768 4-Jun-2011 15:35
Send private message

motozed: oh i thought as a business transport is an expense hence tax deductible.

any more tips on what might be able to be claimed as an expense?

thanks very much all, will speak to IRD re the gst side soon. im thinking if i just collect for now anyway, and if i dont go over 60k i just give it ird ?

I understand you can claim transport costs from your base travelling to jobs onsite. I think it would be hard to explain bus fares being "business travel" unless you can show thats how you meet clients and you still do substantial work from your home office.

You should be able to get GST registered before your income hits 60k, since it sounds like you won't have too many expenses to claim for. Otherwise you would want to get registered and claim back GST on all costs from the beginning. Being only here for 3 months, is it worth all that trouble and time? If you remain a tax resident in your home country you might be able to just pay non-resident withholding tax here? Not sure about criteria for that but your accountant should know more, and ok to ask IRD if you just stick to questions about the legal requirements and their tax relationship with your home country.

Edit: Yes you need to pay ACC, but thats insurance so you can claim it if you get hit by a keyboard or something. Its not too much.

Qualified in business, certified in fibre, stuck in copper, have to keep going  ^_^

400 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 75

  Reply # 479392 9-Jun-2011 16:09
Send private message

Practically speaking, there are no issues claiming bus fares as business travel. Keep the individual tickets, as well as any top-up receipts you use (assuming you're using a stored value card).

You might also wish to purchase some public liability insurance. This will cover you if you accidentally damage the property of a client  - say you drop a screwdriver onto a PC and it causes a fatal short.

Professional indemnity insurance would cover you for any mistake you make in the course of your work, that leads to you being sued by the client. This type of insurance can be prohibitively expensive though, so you're need to make a judgement call.

Also remember that if you use a trading as status, that it is much more easy to  hold you personally liable any unpaid bills, or professional mistakes you might make.

Whoever said being a contractor was an easy ticket to a big fat paycheque, eh!


4702 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 75


  Reply # 479543 9-Jun-2011 23:06
Send private message

I would also look at income protection insurance.  If you are a contractor you don't have sick leave, short or long and if that's your entire source of income and you get sick/have an accident, it's good to have some coverage.

System One: Popcorn Hour A200,  PS3 SuperSlim, NPVR and Plex Server running on Gigabyte Brix (Windows 10 Pro), Sony BDP-S390 BD player, Pioneer AVR, Raspberry Pi running Kodi and Plex, Panasonic 60" 3D plasma, Google Chromecast

System Two: Popcorn Hour A200 ,  Oppo BDP-80 BluRay Player with hardware mode to be region free, Vivitek HD1080P 1080P DLP projector with 100" screen. Harman Kardon HK AVR 254 7.1 receiver, Samsung 4K player, Google Chromecast


My Google+ page 



1 | 2 
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

News »

Phone prices rising as users move upmarket
Posted 24-Nov-2017 17:16

Talking net neutrality on RNZ Nine-to-Noon
Posted 24-Nov-2017 12:11

Air New Zealand experiments with blockchain technology
Posted 23-Nov-2017 15:39

Symantec selects Amazon Web Services to deliver cloud security
Posted 23-Nov-2017 10:40

New Zealand Ministry of Education chooses Unisys for cloud-based education resourcing management system
Posted 22-Nov-2017 22:00

Business analytics software powers profits for NZ wine producers
Posted 22-Nov-2017 21:52

Pyrios strikes up alliance with Microsoft integrator UC Logiq
Posted 22-Nov-2017 21:51

The New Zealand IT services ecosystem - it's all digital down here
Posted 22-Nov-2017 21:49

Volvo to supply tens of thousands of autonomous drive compatible cars to Uber
Posted 22-Nov-2017 21:46

From small to medium and beyond: Navigating the ERP battlefield
Posted 21-Nov-2017 21:12

Business owners: ERP software selection starts (and finishes) with you
Posted 21-Nov-2017 21:11

Why I'm not an early adopter
Posted 21-Nov-2017 10:39

Netatmo launches smart home products in New Zealand
Posted 20-Nov-2017 20:06

Huawei Mate 10: Punchy, long battery life, artificial intelligence
Posted 20-Nov-2017 16:30

Propel launch Disney Star Wars Laser Battle Drones
Posted 19-Nov-2017 21:26

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.