After much debate I went for the G6 to replace a Nexus 5X. Have had it for a couple of weeks now and very happy with it. Price was really good compared to S8, U11, etc (and came with a pretty nice free flip case and tempered glass screen protector)
It's probably a little unfair comparing with the much lower priced 5X, but it's what I had before, so my thoughts follow:
* water-resistant is great for me - have had it splashed multiple times at pools with kids and it's fine. I also don't worry about it getting water, rain or sweat on it while running, at gym, in kitchen, etc.
* Battery life is way better than the Nexus 5X, and charge time seems just as good.
* It never has any issues automatically connecting to the (admittedly cheap no name) bluetooth dongle in my car, while the nexus would occasionally fail to connect.
* Performance is just buttery smooth (even with the "older" processor compared to current flagships)
* Has a really nice solid premium feel to it, and IMO looks great.
* Microphone(s) don't seem as good at picking up up when I say "OK google" to activate google assistant - this really seemed great on the Nexus, not so much on the G6.
* Have to wait a bit for Oreo...
* I think I still like stock Android... but I'm quite appreciating some features of LG UI.