So, fun story time... I have a 2XL with the crackling top speaker issue, and its been getting worse so I decided to ask Dick Smith about a fix. This is of course the big risk with importing a phone... the warranty and repair gamble.
So here, unedited, is the basic bitch reply from Dick Smith:
I'm sorry to hear there's an issue with your Google Pixel. Allow me to assist.
Can you please carry out a reset?
Please be aware that this process will erase any user data and applications currently stored on the unit, so ensure that you have backed up any important files first.
Firstly, please just press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds until the screen changes. You'll then be able to turn the device on again.
If this doesn't work, please try a hard reset.
If you can use the phone menus, you can go "Settings" > "Backup & reset" > "Factory data reset" > "RESET PHONE".
Otherwise, please follow these steps:
- Power the Pixel off by pressing and holding the "Power" button, then tapping "Power off".
- With the device off, press and hold the "Power" and "Volume Down" buttons simultaneously.
- An Android logo should appear. Use the volume buttons to toggle the highlighted selection to "Recovery Mode", then press "Power" to make that selection.
- Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to "Wipe data/factory reset".
- Select "Yes".
- The device will hard reset itself. Select "Reboot" once complete.
If you are still experiencing issues with the product, please get back to me with the following information:
- Serial number or IMEI number
- Clear photos of the front and back of the device
So that isn't a great start. They pull the standard copy/paste response for anyone emailing with an android phone issue, and then ask for photos because naturally I must have damaged it??? Bah! I hardly think resetting the phone will help with a known issue re crappy quality speakers.
Anyway, i'll go back to them with the info, and see what they say. In the meantime..... does anyone have any info on a firm that does pixel repairs in NZ? If I can pay someone to fix it myself, rather than arse around with DS' stupid support systems, I will!