so I thought I would provide some of the links to sites I read on a daily basis, that I find entertaining, useful or novel,
Along with throwing in a few jokes along the way.
- Xkcd - http://www.xkcd.com
- "A Webcomic of Romance, Sarcasm, Math and language" - Updated every Monday, Wednesday and friday.
- A great comic, including the classic:
I subscribe to a number of different News feeds, I must admit depending on the story, I sometimes find the contrasting views to be totally absurd, usually comically, and unfortunately at times scarily disturbing,News Feeds
- This is one of the larger (largest?) news sources coming from the middle - east, they used to have a great blog called "Don't Bomb Us!" which was written after the US bombed one of their buildings tragically killing a number of their reporters and other staff, I think they have discontinued it now.
- This site is great to get a handle on the opposing views of the vairous American based news agencies,
- The English site is still very polictically correct and misses out on a lot, if you had handle the engrishitizations, I recommend reading the Arabic version,
- fortunately if you don't know how to read arabic, google has a nice tool for it:
- They also have some great live video news feeds.
- Live streaming Video feed is here: http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
- (RSS for worldwide English Aljazeera: http://english.aljazeera.net/Services/Rss/?PostingId=2007731105943979989)
- Google gadget link: http://www.google.co.nz/ig/adde?hl=en&moduleurl=http://plug.purdue.org/~jacoby/XML/aljazeera.rss&source=imag
- Aljazeera Front page Translated by google (using Auto -> english) :-
however, you can read about it in its original form here: http://www.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/EF8A214C-3B85-4AFA-99DB-5AACE3A88C33.htm, or translated from google here
- Living in A western country its almost impossible to have not heard of the BBC, and in most countries around the world, I don't generally follow the localised copies of the BBC news, I just follow the BBC World news head lines.
- Surprisingly enough I find that the news reported from BBC is much closer to the News reported from Aljazeera, than the news from the American Sources,
- Particularly when it comes to the quality of articles, and the intended audience, where the BBC and Aljazeera will have intelligently written articles which ar e usually attempting to state the facts and not be bias or emotive, the american sources seem to have largely forgotten how to write anything but opinion pieces.
- They too have some good live video news feeds, along with a huge range of podcasts, alerts, email updates, etc,
- page listing all the feeds etc here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3223484.stm
- This is the Google News Gadget,
- I wouldn't be surprised if they datamine to try to present news Items that they feel are more relevant to me!
- they tend to be strongly US focused, but do report things around the world.
- Gadget link here: http://www.google.co.nz/ig/adde?moduleurl=http://news.google.com/%3Foutput%3Drss&source=imag
- The Bankok post is quite interesting for getting a differrent view point on events happening around the world, particularly in the US, as Thailand has quite strong Links with the US they do discuss a lot of the US happenings, however it is a different viewpoint that the norm on the Events in the US.
- That said, they are largely focused on the Events in and around Thailand - as thats where the paper is from!
- feed: http://www.bangkokpost.com/rss/src/breakingnews.xml
- I wont discuss this one too much, but it covers the news from NZ and around the world - they are als o the only news site I have a google gadget for that implants ads - and therefore I wont like to them.
- I couldn't talk about news sites I enjoy without mentioning TheReg the register totes itself as biting the hand that feeds IT
- I highly recommend this site to anyone at all interested in IT stuff, particularly the Bastard Operator from Hell (BofH)
- They have a great policy of requiring for the Most part an IT angle in any article, and where this policy is not met it has to have a paris hilton angle!
Shoutwire (httpwww.shoutwire.com)Miscellanous Other things
- Shoutwire is good for a bit of comedy relief and to see how people fail much harder than one expects, especially on the internet.
- good for a laugh.
- You probably already know about geekzone if you are here, however the feed for the latest blog posts is
Sites for the Lols
- When looking for a lol, you cant go past
- http://icanhascheezburger.com/ full of cute cat pictures,
- http://www.failblog.org/ - full to the brim with humourous fail.
well that about does it for today. I find those sites interesting on a daily basis. maybe you will too!
Other related posts:
TOR: A Cool project from the Internet
NASA, perchlorates and the giant Mars soil composition question mark.
A Beautiful Sunny Morning.