Amazon Web Services announces AWS Activate to expand resources available to startup customers
Posted on 11-Oct-2013 07:37
Filed under: News
Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), has announced the availability of AWS Activate, a structured package of resources for startups, including AWS credits, training, developer support, a special startup community forum and special offers from third parties. AWS Activate bundles resources in packages, designed to enable startups of different types to easily and quickly get started with AWS and successfully use the AWS platform to help grow their businesses.
AWS Activate is organized into two packages – a Self-Starter package, which any startup can apply for, and a Portfolio package, which can be applied for by startups in select accelerator, incubator, venture capital seed funds or entrepreneur organizations.
Each package includes varied levels of resources to help fit customers’ needs. Startups receiving either package get access to the Startup Forum, where AWS experts and other startup customers can share best practices. The Startup Forum gives startups a way to learn from and interact with a community of peers building world-changing apps on AWS. In addition, startups accepted into AWS Activate may have access to special offers, such as product discounts, from select third-party companies in the AWS ecosystem, providing startups with additional valuable technologies and tools.
With the Self-Starter package, startups receive:
- Access to the AWS Free Usage Tier: With the AWS Free Usage Tier, new AWS customers have up to one year of free access to a variety of AWS services, enabling developers to launch new applications, broaden their AWS knowledge or simply gain hands-on familiarity with the services – all while incurring no charges.
- One month of Developer-level AWS Support: AWS Support is a one-on-one, fast-response support channel that is staffed 24x7x365 with experienced technical support engineers to help customers of all sizes and technical abilities successfully use AWS. Developer Support includes client side diagnostic tools, best practice guidance and email support with a 12-hour response time from an AWS cloud support associate.
- Web-based training and one self-paced lab: Self-paced labs, available online, are hands-on tutorials designed to help customers acquire new skills and gain practical experience with AWS technologies.
- AWS Startup Forum: The AWS Startup Forum offers the opportunity to tap into the vast body of knowledge in the AWS startup community, including access to tips from experienced startup founders and advice from knowledgeable AWS solutions architects.
- Access to offers on products from select third-party companies: AWS Activate includes special offers from select third-party companies that provide valuable tools for startups. Offers include software for testing, security and automation on the AWS platform.
With the Portfolio package, eligible startups receive:
- AWS credits: AWS credits can be redeemed against fees for eligible services, including Amazon EC2, Amazon S3, Amazon RDS, Amazon CloudFront, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon EMR, Amazon Redshift, Amazon Glacier and more.
- Business-level AWS Support for up to one year: Business-level AWS Support includes all of the benefits of Developer-level AWS Support, plus AWS Trusted Advisor and access to phone, chat, email and screen sharing support with a one-hour response time from an AWS cloud support engineer.
- Web-based and instructor-led training, including class labs and credit for four self-paced labs: AWS Technical Professional and AWS Essentials courses provide a technical and thorough overview of AWS products and common solutions, and coupled with self-paced labs can help customers gain hands-on experience working with AWS technologies. AWS Essentials is available both on-demand and in live instructor-led trainings.
- Startup Forum privileges: The AWS Startup Forum offers the opportunity to tap into the vast body of knowledge in the AWS startup community, including access to tips from experienced startup founders and advice from knowledgeable AWS solutions architects.
- Access to offers on products from select third-party companies: AWS Activate includes special offers from select third-party companies that provide valuable tools for startups. Offers in the Portfolio package build on those available to Self-Starter package customers, and include software for testing, security and automation on the AWS platform.
“Many of the world’s most successful startups already build their businesses on the AWS cloud. Based on feedback from VCs, startups and entrepreneurs, we developed AWS Activate to help even more startup organizations get going quickly by leveraging AWS to help build their business. We’re happy to offer this to startups of all kinds from around the world today,” said Adam Selipsky, Vice President, Amazon Web Services.