Posted on 28-Mar-2008 11:21
Filed under: News
UIQ Technology have announced the availability of UIQ 3.3, based on Symbian OS v 9.3 for smartphones. The software builds on the UIQ 3 family, making it possible for mobile phone manufacturers to produce different kinds of phones on the same software platform, on a single code line.
UIQ 3.3 includes incremental enhancements in line with market requirements, including enhanced support for operator services and extensive customization for addressing different market segments.
Some of the UIQ 3.3 enhncments include:
- Full web experience: Opera Mobile 9, with its fast page rendering and its Pan & Zoom functionalities, offers the web experience of a full-scale browser in a mobile environment;
- UIQ Dashboard: UIQ 3.3 is prepared for mobile widgets and features a dashboard, accessible system wide by pushing the widget button;
- Opera Widgets: Opera widgets run on UIQ 3.3, offering the user direct access to content and opening up for new mobile services;
- Unified Messaging Platform: integrated communication experience;
- Java JSR 248 MSA Fullset: Developers can create and deploy a wide range of applications using the Mobile Services Architecture (MSA).
"UIQ 3.3 will significantly enhance the options for creating differentiated mobile phones for different segments and different price ranges," said Mats Barvesten EVP Product Management and Ecosystems. "Operators are also given the opportunity to promote their services through customized folders and a widget dashboard. We have integrated the Opera Mobile 9.5 web browser and added a number of new functions and possibilities that are in line with our strategy to enable phones with world class user experience."
With an aim to extend UIQ based mobile phones into the mass-market, UIQ's focus is to ensure a flexible and powerful open user interface and development platform that optimizes the options for mobile phone manufacturers to create higher volume phones for the market.
Antony Edwards, Vice President Developer Product Marketing, Symbian, said "UIQ 3.3 will bring a host of new opportunities for developers wanting to innovate on a powerful user interface platform, including new APIs such as SQL. Symbian OS v 9.3 strengthens the offering for handset manufacturers with its robust and scalable OS, enhanced phone performance and hardware capabilities, allowing them to bring differentiated phones to market more quickly. "
The Beta SDK (Software Development Kit) for UIQ 3.3 on Symbian OS v 9.3 is available for downloading now.