Onavo today released its data cost control app for Android devices, Onavo Lite. Available now through the Android Market, the free app helps Android owners control their data usage and manage data costs.
The app helps control data usage and costs through features such as:
- Alerts and warnings: when an app is hogging data in the background, when approaching your cap, or when traveling
- Data hog blocking: can opt to block certain apps over 3G, or 3G data in general once you exceed your data cap to avoid any additional costs
- Tracking: Real-time data plan tracking and early alerts when usage reaches certain limits.
- Advice: Tips on best value data plans based on your actual usage
- Simple set up: Removes all the complexity from mobile data plans
Apps on Android devices are permitted to use data at will, whether in the foreground or in the background, so many Android users are unaware that they are paying for data without even opening or using an app. Onavo Lite helps Android users avoid “data anxiety”, giving them control over the apps that are allowed to use data. Apps can be restricted to WiFi only, or simply switched off, avoiding any expensive surprises.
Onavo today also launched the Onavo Android Community which crowdsources information on apps and data usage from the across the globe. Onavo Lite will automatically advise whether newly downloaded apps are data hogs or likely to cause issues with data plans.
“We are all addicted to data, but like junkies we don’t stop and count the cost – we just want our hit,” said Onavo co-founder CEO Guy Rosen, “We founded Onavo to put consumers in control of their data usage. With capped plans now the norm, we’re here to remove the confusion and baffling small print to make it clear and simple. Then we can help people stop the wasted expense.”
Rosen added, “The flip side of Android’s openness is that apps are free to use up mobile data without any accountability. Just power up your phone and a hundred apps could spring to life and eat up your data plan. Onavo Lite makes it easy for you to finally understand – and have a say in – what gets to use your data plan. Even without compressing data – a feature which is coming soon – we felt Android users urgently needed the control offered by Onavo Lite.”
The Onavo Android app follows the release of the app for iPhone and iPad.