I have a little HP Windows tablet that I bought here on GZ. I have never used it for anything but now I am about to head overseas and I wanted to take it with me. I noticed the battery was a bit low so put it on the charger. Although I left it on for a couple days, it only charged to 14%. I tried replugging and the charging indicator came on but then I couldn't get the unit to boot. Then the charging indicator started rapidly going off and on, something I have never seen before. I could not get the unit to respond at all, except once very briefly when a text message flashed up. It said the battery was extremely low. Now the unit is completely dead. Nothing causes any response at all.
I prised off the back to see what I could see and there is a lithium battery with a big notice on it that it is not removable. I know this is standard these days but I find it unacceptable that manufacturers make things with batteries that can't be replaced, especially when batteries are always a weak link.
So is this thing fixable? I'm pretty sure the problem is only the battery, though I have not previously seen one fail in quite this way. The battery isn't swollen. It looks perfectly normal. Can it be removed and replaced in spite of the notice? Can the device be repaired? It seems pretty wasteful to have to throw something like this out just because of the battery.