A puzzle for the sparkies and electrical engineers here.
A powerpoint in our kitchen had a 2-into-1 adapter plugged into it. When my wife tried to plug her stick mixer into the right hand socket of the 2-into-1 she couldn't insert the plug. Taking the 2-into-1 out we found the damage you see in the pictures.
Interesting, the burnt blade on the 2-into-1 and the burnt receiver on the powerpoint are those of the neutral conductor. I've probed a bit and confirmed that phase and neutral are not reversed in the powerpoint.
Background: The powerpoint was installed a few years ago by the electrical firm who originally wired the house and who've done other work for us. The 2-into-1 had a stand mixer (325 w) plugged into its left hand receptacle; its right hand receptacle was generally empty and occasionally accommodated the stick mixer (100 w or thereabouts). The right hand receptacle of the powerpoint accommodated the microwave.
I am assuming that the 2-into-1 failed somehow, overheated and burnt the half-sleeve off its neutral blade and conducted the heat into the powerpoint, thus burning the neutral receiver on that side. But am I likely correct and is this a common occurrence with these 2-into-1's (when they've never been overloaded)? And why should it be the neutral blade that failed?
(I am going to replace the powerpoint as who knows whether it's safe now. As far as I know all the home powerpoints are PDL.)
Any comments are welcome.