Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.


425 posts

Ultimate Geek

#255998 10-Sep-2019 09:45
Send private message

Looking to buy a property, and I have identified it has been re-clad with stucco/plaster, over top of existing weatherboard, with a cavity.

I've asked for house history, but this isn't known by current owner, estimate it was done at least 20-25 years ago (by previous owner), either to 'modernise' the house, or the original weatherboard had issues.
Fairly certain it has a cavity, as its hollow to knock, and sticks out at least 50mm past original cladding, encasing windows/doors, etc. (window sills now flush with cladding)

Has anyone had experience buying/selling/owning or doing up any houses that have had this done?

Pro's I can think of: has a cavity, could be more durable, has clearance at bottom, no signs of moisture in/under house
Cons: potential issues around windows/flashings? Issues if replacing current windows with new double glazed units? (due to cladding protruding past window frame?)

While we wait for possibility of builder to review, thought I'd check here.
Purchased and sold houses before (personal home and rentals), so reasonably confident with the rest of it, just curious if anyone has any experience with stucco/plaster over weatherboard.

Ideally in the future we would double glaze (entire new units preferred, as opposed to retrofit glass, as some of the sliding doors need fixing anyway)

Below are 2 photos, first showing how new cladding encases the windows (as cladding is at least 50mm over top of original weatherboard).
Second photo shows how cladding extends over back door step, and encases toilet breather pipe.




Click to see full size


Click to see full size



Create new topic

Affiliate link: Looking at switching to a new broadband provider?
Grumpy GeeZer
4591 posts

Uber Geek


  #2314066 10-Sep-2019 10:25
Send private message

Is there a proper flashing under/behind the window/s? In the first photo it looks as if it could just be siliconed-in?

Sometimes I just sit and think. Other times I just sit.


425 posts

Ultimate Geek

  #2314095 10-Sep-2019 10:49
Send private message



Is there a proper flashing under/behind the window/s? In the first photo it looks as if it could just be siliconed-in?



The white around the edge in that photo is just unpainted area.
You can make out the original sloping wooden sill at the bottom of the window.


From what I can tell, its impossible to see original flashings without removing the plaster cladding, or removing window?


I'm assuming its very similar to the neighbours house, photo below, (and most other others in street) which were all built in the 1950's, weatherboard, with timber frame around window.
Although I know its a risk to assume.


Click to see full size


10996 posts

Uber Geek

  #2314161 10-Sep-2019 11:42
Send private message

I'm going to guess it could get tricky.  Flashings around doors/windows to meet current building code that I've come across use a flashing with flexible PVC edge - including a ~10mm barb inserted into a slot in the frame so that it can't pull out with movement, the mesh on the other edge of the flashing material is integrated into the plaster.  There may be a bead of RTV silicone inserted over, but that's decorative/protective rather than the primary waterproofing system which is behind, then there's a drained cavity anyway.  This is very unlikely to be what you've got unless the plaster system is less than about 15-20 years old.


I'd guess that in replacing the windows you wouldn't have to bring everything up to current code, but do it in a manner to not make the performance of the existing system worse than it already is - and at this point in time you don't know if it's good or bad.  If the work doesn't need consent, nobody is checking and there are plenty of very dodgy and pushy companies in the double-glazing business, so I suggest being very careful about choosing someone reputable for advice.  Maybe get a registered designer or architect to take a look.



Mad Scientist
22934 posts

Uber Geek

Lifetime subscriber

  #2315281 11-Sep-2019 22:26
Send private message

nevermind the misbehaving flashings, how do you know the timber hasn't rotted under the plaster?


need a building inspector to check it out

Involuntary autocorrect in operation on mobile device. Apologies in advance.

Create new topic

News »

Slingshot offering ugly-modem to help reduce e-waste in New Zealand
Posted 30-Sep-2020 16:01

AWS launches new edge location in New Zealand
Posted 30-Sep-2020 15:35

Amazon introduces new Echo devices
Posted 25-Sep-2020 11:56

Mad Catz introduces new S.T.R.I.K.E. 13 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Posted 25-Sep-2020 11:34

Vodafone NZ upgrades international submarine network
Posted 25-Sep-2020 09:09

Jabra announces wireless noise-cancelling airbuds, upgrade existing model
Posted 24-Sep-2020 14:43

Nokia 3.4 to be available in New Zealand
Posted 24-Sep-2020 14:34

HP announces new HP ENVY laptops aimed at content creators
Posted 24-Sep-2020 14:02

Logitech introduce MX Anywhere 3
Posted 21-Sep-2020 21:17

Countdown unveils contactless shopping with new Scan&Go tech
Posted 21-Sep-2020 09:48

HP unveils new innovations for businesses adapting to rapidly evolving workstyles and workforces
Posted 17-Sep-2020 15:36

GoPro launches new HERO9 Black camera
Posted 17-Sep-2020 09:45

Telecommunications industry launches new 5G Facts website
Posted 17-Sep-2020 07:56

New Zealand ranks 3rd in world in GSMA index
Posted 15-Sep-2020 10:13

Trend Micro Security Suite adds web monitoring to prevent identity theft
Posted 14-Sep-2020 15:37

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.