Can anyone recommend a good streaming device?
- Stream Netflix
- Stream Youtube, with an easy way to search for / choose the clip (probably requires a keyboard or voice interface)
- Easy to use for wife / family / eventually the toddler
- Prefer cheaper over more fully functioned: ideally US$100 or less
Nice to have:
- A remote, or compatibility with my old Logitech Harmony One
- Stream media from a local computer, ideally keeping track of watched status (not important as the R.Pi2 running Kodi works great)
- Stream NZ TV - TV2, TV3, etc (really not that valuable to us, but nice to have the option)
- Chromecast: ok for my wife and I, but not so good for guests as our regular guests don't tend to have smartphones. We have a tablet for the lounge, but it's more hassle than picking up a remote that's always there anyway, waiting for WiFi to connect, finding the app, etc
- Roku: reported to great, but tricky to get working in NZ? If it's ok to get going this is probably my pick
- Amazon Fire TV: don't know much about it
- Shield TV: probably more than I want to spend
I'm not consisdering:
- Apple TV (too expensive)
I have a VPN for my PC, and there's probably a way I could use an old R.Pi1 as an always on VPN gateway if the device needed it. I tried once but gave up before I got it done because I didn't really need it.
Any advice appreciated.