Is it me getting old or are we slowly getting eaten up financially in small bites?
Apps are one thing, $2 here, $3/month there, $15 per month to spotifiy, multiply by three kids etc etc etc.
But recently I've been noticing lots of funny little charges for nothing creeping into bills. Banks have been doing it for years and had their ears pinned back to a $15 per unarranged overdraft fee, dishonoured cheque fee, too many withdrawals fees, you walked into a branch and smiled at us fee, by the commerce commission ($15 wont be investigated as it falls below a threshold for investigating if it is a fair charge for recovering or recouping costs that reflects actual costs of recoup).
However just got a $USD350 item sent from Australia and pinged for GST and Excise costs ( $350 x 0.67 exchange rate) = $NZD522 so
- GST = $78.30 ( from IRD)
- Import Transaction fee = $42.81 (from customs)
- GST on import transaction fee = $6.43 (ird again)
but then the kicker ....
Disbursement Fee of $10.00incl from DHL.
A disbursement fee is a charge from DHL for 'fronting' the money for duties etc to customs on your behalf.
Three things wrong with that:
- 1 - They dont front the money, it is paid later, as customs has them on a deferred payment system - onbills in periodic bulk lots.
- 2 - $10.00 is an unreasonable amount as it doesn't reflect interest for 24 - 48 hours or less, or the true cost of finance, or charges or costs
- 3 - It is a fee charged to the receiver, not disclosed to the sender, making it an addition to the contract after the fact - naughty naughty - trying to bleed both ends.
How many lots of $10 per transaction are DHL making per day, over and above what they charge the sender? that could be a lucrative little earner.
I told them to stick their fee, and to be fair they have, but how many funny little charges are creeping in, inflating purchases? I notice a lot more 2% credit card surcharges now days too - I didn't think Visa let merchants do that?
Oh crud - customs just rang up and now want another $70 for an inspection I didn't request / know about, get advised of etc etc etc. Plastic device - hardly likely to carry bugs when it is brand new straight from the factory.