Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.




2150 posts

Uber Geek


#112385 6-Dec-2012 18:45
Send private message

If yes, it looks like you got shafted.
I know I did.
TV Makers Pricefixing




"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -  Stephen Hawking


Create new topic
1958 posts

Uber Geek


  #728211 6-Dec-2012 19:16
Send private message

floydbloke: If yes, it looks like you got shafted.
I know I did.
TV Makers Pricefixing

That link is broken.
Try this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/20608949

gzt

11178 posts

Uber Geek

Lifetime subscriber

  #728246 6-Dec-2012 20:16
Send private message

Given the EU guidelines on anti-trust fines it seems they got off very very lightly.

The firms involved held what they called "green meetings" across Asia and Europe to discuss price-fixing tactics, so-called because they were often followed by a round of golf. Lower-level meetings were called "glass meetings"


Lol. Glass meetings were probably on Fridays. ; ).

More detail from the source here: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-12-1317_en.htm

I wonder if there will be a flow on anti-monopoly case in the US. Maybe it will not occur unless there was a related crt manufacturer based there.

Same applies to crt computer monitors during this period.

 
 
 
 


3712 posts

Uber Geek


  #728318 6-Dec-2012 23:17
Send private message

Looks like all the big players except for Sony...

15825 posts

Uber Geek


  #728320 6-Dec-2012 23:25
Send private message

Dunnersfella: Looks like all the big players except for Sony...


Knew there was a reason I liked Sony stuff, well apart from the nicer designed stuff they do.

442 posts

Ultimate Geek


  #728376 7-Dec-2012 09:13
Send private message

floydbloke: If yes, it looks like you got shafted.
I know I did.
TV Makers Pricefixing


Bet I get shafted in 50% of things I buy lol Cry

925 posts

Ultimate Geek

Trusted

  #728381 7-Dec-2012 09:22
Send private message

mattwnz:
Dunnersfella: Looks like all the big players except for Sony...


Knew there was a reason I liked Sony stuff, well apart from the nicer designed stuff they do.


Because they're good enough not to get caught?




 

1726 posts

Uber Geek

Subscriber

  #728525 7-Dec-2012 13:47
Send private message

TinyTim:
mattwnz:
Dunnersfella: Looks like all the big players except for Sony...


Knew there was a reason I liked Sony stuff, well apart from the nicer designed stuff they do.


Because they're good enough not to get caught?


Its a bit like Vaccinations, if 90% of the country has them the other 10% remain protected by default.  Sony would have ridden that wave happily!

 
 
 
 




2150 posts

Uber Geek


  #728711 7-Dec-2012 19:17
Send private message

itxtme:
TinyTim:
mattwnz:
Dunnersfella: Looks like all the big players except for Sony...


Knew there was a reason I liked Sony stuff, well apart from the nicer designed stuff they do.


Because they're good enough not to get caught?


Its a bit like Vaccinations, if 90% of the country has them the other 10% remain protected by default.  Sony would have ridden that wave happily!


Did they manufacture their own tubes?  I've had a cursory search but couldn't find a definitive answer.




"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -  Stephen Hawking


gzt

11178 posts

Uber Geek

Lifetime subscriber

  #728713 7-Dec-2012 19:29
Send private message

Sony Trinitron. Definitely.

[Edit: wikipedia says manufacturing in Japan and Singapore]

Mad Scientist
21796 posts

Uber Geek

Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  #728727 7-Dec-2012 20:16
Send private message

dude, i don't think this is the only thing ... look at the banks! they have the same interest rate and they make billions off 4 million new zealanders every year ... it's a shame they got caught




Involuntary autocorrect in operation on mobile device. Apologies in advance.




2150 posts

Uber Geek


  #728729 7-Dec-2012 20:20
Send private message

gzt: Sony Trinitron. Definitely.

[Edit: wikipedia says manufacturing in Japan and Singapore]

Ah yes, of course.  Quite a big marketing push in the 80's if I recall  (in my defense, a lot of my time in the 80's was spent under the influence of alcohol, that's my excuse)




"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -  Stephen Hawking


1280 posts

Uber Geek


  #728905 8-Dec-2012 11:00
Send private message

TinyTim:
mattwnz:
Dunnersfella: Looks like all the big players except for Sony...


Knew there was a reason I liked Sony stuff, well apart from the nicer designed stuff they do.


Because they're good enough not to get caught?


Think Sony were winding down CRT production by then.

gzt

11178 posts

Uber Geek

Lifetime subscriber

  #729033 8-Dec-2012 17:04
Send private message

Everyone was. Some were trying to keep the prices high while doing it.

481 posts

Ultimate Geek


  #729345 9-Dec-2012 17:32
Send private message

ilovemusic: Think Sony were winding down CRT production by then.


Not quite in 1996.

676 posts

Ultimate Geek


  #731500 12-Dec-2012 16:57
Send private message

In spite of any alleged price fixing, the CRT TVs purchasable between 1996 and 2006 could represent better value that any of the LCD and Plasma equivalents available since.

I think LCD is a greater scandal. How many years have they been milking and remarketing this inherently flawed technology. It was never a progressive step for the display industry. I would be generous in calling it a sidestep.


Create new topic



Twitter and LinkedIn »



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

New online learning platform for kids stuck at home during COVID-19 lockdown
Posted 26-Mar-2020 21:35


New 5G Nokia smartphone unveiled as portfolio expands
Posted 26-Mar-2020 17:11


D-Link ANZ launches wireless AC1200 4G LTE router
Posted 26-Mar-2020 16:32


Ring introduces two new video doorbells and new pre-roll technology
Posted 17-Mar-2020 16:59


OPPO uncovers flagship Find X2 Pro smartphone
Posted 17-Mar-2020 16:54


D-Link COVR-2202 mesh Wi-Fi system now protected by McAfee
Posted 17-Mar-2020 16:00


Spark Sport opens its platform up to all New Zealanders at no charge
Posted 17-Mar-2020 10:04


Spark launches 5G Starter Fund
Posted 8-Mar-2020 19:19


TRENDnet launches high-performance WiFi Mesh Router System
Posted 5-Mar-2020 08:48


Sony boosts full-frame lens line-up with introduction of FE 20mm F1.8 G large-aperture ultra-wide-angle prime Lens
Posted 5-Mar-2020 08:44


Vector and Spark teamed up on smart metering initiative
Posted 5-Mar-2020 08:42


Schneider Electric launches new PDL Pro Series designed specifically for the commercial building market
Posted 5-Mar-2020 08:39


Kiwi app Pedigree DentaStix Studios uses pet images to counter impact of negative social media Content
Posted 5-Mar-2020 08:32


Samsung expands to New Zealand in 5G Networks Deal with Spark
Posted 5-Mar-2020 08:17


New Vodafone mobile data plans with unlimited data
Posted 26-Feb-2020 06:55



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.


Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.