TheWIFE has decided we need a new media centre PC. Since we really only use it for transcoded material and photos (we have MySky for Live TV) I floated the idea of getting a Smart TV to
a) upgrade our current circa 8 yr old Sony Bravia and
b) get rid of the HTPC box out of the living room and into the garage.
This seems to have won her over.
Basic requirements are:
- Full HD (cant stretch to UltraHD for a few years yet)
- Smart TV (DLNA minimum everything else a bonus)
- $2K budget
- 50" or larger preferable
- I like watching sport (usual Kiwi ones) - so I guess a TV that doesn't suffer here.
- 3D - we're so far behind (who knew kids were so darn expensive!) we dont have BluRay yet so no 3D to watch (yet). I currently prefer passive 3D due to sensitive eyes but don't have that much experience with 3D TVs so open to convincing otherwise. We have two young children if that swings things one way or the other.
- Streaming to our Android phones/tablets (I see some TVs do live TV to this now...clever)
- Internet (needs LAN connectivity, either wired or wifi, but by Internet I mean browse the internet on the TV)
I did see the LG 55LA6230 for $1999 at Noel Leeming and was quite taken by it - seemed to tick all the boxes. As were the kids (both preschoolers) as it was showing the Lorax in 3D. Mrs and I quite like the look of the Samsung TVs too (e.g. NL had UA55F6400 running which I also liked). Anything we should be avoiding/ignoring or discounting gimics etc.
But its so long since Ive been TV shopping I'm way out of touch with what is the TV de jour. Anything else in the 2K region we should be looking at? I know the first requirement is "choose one where the picture looks good to you" and I will go out and check any recommendations. But to be honest - I find they all look quite good top me now!