I have had the NAS for about 5-6 years. The Hard Drive activity LED is bright amber indicating a drive failure and the BlackArmor software tells me it has failed.
Short Selftest in HDD 1 has finished.
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED
It still works, but I feel that it is struggling and may die at any minute. I have a backup.
I would like to purchase a new NAS. I have simple requirements but feel that looking through NAS information is information overload.
1) Probably need a single bay with a 3tb drive.
2) I probably need 1 bay as I back up to a 3tb drive in a dual bay dock and the data changes infrequently. I keep backups at work.
3) I store documents, videos (.mkv), music (mp3 and wav) and photos.
4) I really only use the NAS to watch Videos on a Samsung TV by browsing on the NAS. I user powerline boxes to connect the TV to the Router.
5) I have an old Brother mono laser printed attached to the NAS USB port so that the household can print from any device. This is essential.
6) Synology is preferred (perhaps QNAP, but possibly nothing else).
7) A budget NAS is preferred (and I still need to buy a red WD drive).
I realise budget means compromise with the hardware specs. e.g. not being able to run Plex Server on the NAS.
At this very minute I am looking on the Synology web site at the DiskStation DS115j and it looks a candidate, but the more I look, they all look good and the price begins to creep up and up.
Any strong recommendations?