Finally achieved hardware acceleration (H.A.) after spending days and days of trying.
I tried powerdvd 8 ultra 1830 / kmplayer / zoomplayer / evr / evr (c/a)
Spent ages getting things set up
In the end I was unable to get H.A. going reliably in vista because EVR would crash.
A lot of my 1080P movies wouldn't play well or had 60-80% cpu useage.
When H.A. was working i still had about 20-30% cpu useage.
In the end the method to get it going was very simple
1. Fresh install of Win XP Pro SP2
2. Don't install any updates - Turn automatic updates off!
3. Install Realtek Audio Driver from gigabyte.com
4. Install LAN Driver from gigabyte.com
5. Install ATI Chipset drivers (v8.457) from gigabyte.com
- Install the SB Driver first
- Then install the ATI Catalyst Driver 8.457
7. Install ATI CCC (Catalyst Control Centre)
- Use version 8.3 from the AMD site
- Goto www.amd.com , access drivers for XP / Integrated Video / HD 3200
- Then goto driver archieve to get the 8.3 driver
- I needed the CCC so i could set overdrive to 0% for my 1080P LCD TV
- I found the newer version of CCC didn't work with the 8.457 Display driver
8. Install MPHC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) - X86 version for XP
I didn't need to to adjust anything in MPC HC
I didn't install any additional codecs
Now I seem to be able to play all 1080P, and CPU useage averages about 0-2% on taskmgr!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOTE: I can't remember if i had to install wmp v11 or not, but i'm pretty sure i got H.A. going without this, but since have installed it because it is needed for mediaportal
Hope this helps someone because getting H.A. working was a real BIT*C*H!!