My situation is this: I have TelstraClear Cable TV and also want to be able to view and record Freeview DVB-T.
I have a few questions that I haven't found answers to here yet.
1. What is the situation with tuning my TelstraClear box? Are there any issues with using any of the IR blaster solutions to tune these boxes?
2. It looks like the HVR-2200 is the currently recommended card atm? According to Hauppauge's site this is dual tuner, but I gather what the mean by that is one analogue and one digital tuner, right?. So if I wanted to record two DVB=T channels or two analgue channels I'd need two cards, correct?
3. Whatever PVR software I choose, is it easy to configure them so that they record from the DVB-T/HD sources in preference to analogue? ie. I presume for flexibility you want all cards to see all inputs, but can you set it up to record the digital/HD source if its available rather than the analogue source?
4. How critical is getting the silent power supply/case etc? I think the most noise in my current PC is from the graphics card fan. Will getting a quite graphics card be enough?
4a. Same question re HTPC cases. Are they worth all that extra money?
I see a lot of high spec HTPC setups listed on the forums. Can anyone point me at a spec for a good, reliable (but not outrageous expensive) setup?
I'm thinking something like the following:
- Core Duo 2.4G+
- mobo TBD
- case TBD
- 2G RAM
- 500G+ HDD
- DVD writer (maybe blueray)
- 8850+ video card (for the H.264 accel - yes?) or a mobo like the Intel G45s that supports H264
- HVR-2200 (x2)
- Media centre software TBD
- Harmony or MCE remote
Thanks in advance for everyone's advice and suggestions