I am (probably) about to move into a new place near the end of January (assuming building report on Monday isn't full of issues) and I'm going to bite the bullet and dedicate a room to my home theatre because I can.
I have already purchased my complete new HT lounge suite (Circled in green)
(The 3 and 2 seater will be in the normal living area elsewhere)
Currently I have a nice in-ceiling ambertec 120" screen and nice projector - but it's a standard lounge with light walls and ceiling - this time I want to do it properly.
I've also got a 120" fixed frame screen coming and I am sorted with the projector and amp already - no need to upgrade them.
The layout of the new room is as follows
And it looks like this at the moment
You can see that this is pretty much a worst case scenario as far as light control and floor/ceiling/wall colours go - the door to the oversized storage area is even mirrored!
The screen will be on the front wall (red line on plan), the projector will be ceiling mounted (green circle) and the amp/source will be in the adjoining storage area (red circle)
I currently use a nice set of Kef Eggs but I am not sure they'll suit a room of this size.
So, my plan is as follows:
- Get a dark coloured custom rug made the size of the room, or 2 rugs for practicalities sense. It WOULD be cheaper to recarpet the room bizarrely so that's still on the table.
- Paint the ceiling (and remove the proud light fitting)... I'm thinking satin black?
- Front wall: Paint or paper in a dark non gloss colour/pattern Something in the red or brown area.
- Other 3 walls. I was looking at paint but with the mirrors, full wall sliding doors behind and window on the other side - would 3 sided full wall drapes be a decent option?
- Amp and source in cupboard (huge cupboard about 1.8 x 2.5 metres!)
- Speakers: thinking I should move back to traditional floorstanders like a set of Monitor Audio Bronze B5 AV Speaker pack but this is an area where I am hopelessly out of date in my knowledge and expertise. I will probably add ceiling speakers for 5.1.2 ATMOS
- Source (It'll be a new Nvidia Shield - that's nailed down)
Is there anything else I should consider given I am going to have this effectively as a single use room? I was thinking bar fridge but the noise might be annoying. I have eliminated the thought of tiered seating :-)
Cheers - N