I am confused! I am not that tech savvy but I have built a few PCs (largely with a “by the numbers” approach).
I have on hand, and I am hoping to use them for an HTPC project:
A Foxconn A7GM-S (780chipset) MB, an Athlon II x2 245 CPU, 3GB DDR2 800 Memory.
Currently running Vista but I have a Win7 Home Premium pack available.
I have read and researched about hardware and codecs etc until my head is spinning.
Sorry for the new topic, but many of the threads date from 2008 are closed, and may no longer be fully relevant anyway.
Some of the questions for which I remain confused.
1. I am uncertain if I can get Freeview DVB-T HD 1084I playback from this combo?
2. There are several references to Hyper Transport 3 being needed with Athlon CPUs for Freeview recording/playback? The Athlon 245 supports HT3 but does my AM2+ MB/CPU combo support HT3?
3. If my gear can manage to playback the video (via HDMI)? What about audio?
4. So do I need a dedicated video card, even if it is just to get an audio via HDMI connection? And if a video card IS needed what is the best value card?
5. Looking at messages re tuners I see a number of recommendations for the Hauppauge HVR-2200 This card uses a PCIe slot .
Will using this slot leave enough space for a passive video card (say Radeon 5450), if one is ultimately needed in the adjoining PCIe 16 slot?
Thanks for any help and explanations.