Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

1395 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 583

Topic # 114944 8-Mar-2013 08:26
Send private message

We got my son a new cheapie Acer lappie for his schoolwork. Instead of separate headphone & microphone jacks, it has one socket that works out if it headphones or a mike plugged in & treats it accordingly.

What I want to know is: can I get a headset that will plug into that socket and have the headphones & mike work? Is this jack like the ones on mobile phones that will deal with a headset? or is it restricted to one or the other? And if it will work, can I get an adaptor to plug his dual-3.5 plug headset into?

Create new topic
2196 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 671


  Reply # 776647 8-Mar-2013 09:06
Send private message

Yes you can buy USB audio cards on trademe for a few dollars. It would not suprise me if a headset from a cellphone works in that socket like you say. Does on my MacBook Pro, pretty sure it works like that on my EliteBook 2560p too.

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.