- Good general purpose laptop, suitable for word processing, email, web browsing, and online games. i3 CPU with 4GB RAM is plenty.
- 15" screen or better
- It will rarely if ever leave the house, weight isn't that important
- Battery life not critical, but it is used on battery on the sofa or such
- Something that will last a while is important
- Value is more important than speed - no SSD is required, a touch screen is nice to have but not worth much to them
My recommendation is Lenovo E540, touch or non-touch based on their budget. It ticks all the boxes, in my experience they're good quality, built like tanks, and cost $900 to $1000 delivered.
Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative that's still good quality?