Looking at options for fibre in Chch and wondering which modem Telecom supplies by default.
Do you get a choice?
Does it depend on your plan?
lxsw20: My point is 802.11n isn't the latest wifi spec, more and more stuff is coming out with AC now. Personally I don't just use my WiFi for accessing Internet either.
Michael Murphy | https://murfy.nz
Referral Links: Tessie | Tesla | Quic Broadband (use R122101E7CV7Q for free setup)
Are you happy with what you get from Geekzone? Please consider supporting us by subscribing.
Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer.
lxsw20: I'm not saying it isn't a perfectly OK router, but Telecom are making it out to be the latest and greatest on their site, which it is not.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man
Presso: Could have at least done ones with gigabit lan ports for the domestic ones like the business ones.
Jase2985: but what you are failing to realise is 99% of people on this site are enthusiasts, and you/we probably represent about 5% max of telecoms customers. the other 95% of people dont care/need that sort of functionality.
The majority of people that are customers of the main stream ISP have 1 or 2 computer and a few mobile devices (phones ipad etc) they dont need gigabit ethernet they dont need wireless AC.
the modem telecom supplied is good enough for the vast majority of people.
Hell im an enthusiast and i dont need any more than the thompson VDSL modem telecom supplied, i can stream HD via my media server through the modem to my TV with out it lagging.
the vast majority of people dont need the functionality you are discussing
those that do dont use an ISP supplied modem
So? It is a free modem provided by an ISP who offer low-margin plans. They can't afford to give out Wireless AC routers to everyone. If you don't like it then buy a new one but for essentially all their customers it is completely fine.