Since about a week ago on the weekend (14/15th, not this weekend just gone) my usually perfectly solid ADSL has gone to complete rubbish for apparently no reason.
Came home from a friend's on sunday and noticed the internet was slower than usual - after confirming from speedtest.net I checked the speed in the router and found it was less than half of the usual rate.
I rebooted it and everything seemed fine until that night when I noticed the speed had gone down again - I checked the router again and again speed was less than half, with about 8 disconnections (I expect there had been some the first time too, but I didn't look)
So I rang telecom, who told me my line was fine because it had recently been repaired (this was a few months ago when I had been getting a lot of audible noise on the line and disconnections which they said had been caused by a faulty connection down the road)
Doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that telling me my line is still fine now because it was fine months ago doesn't make sense.
Then they went on to tell me some rubbish that "It's probably because you have Go large - if you download too much we have to slow it down to make it fair for other people, and that's why it's slow"
Telecom helpdesk even said that yes, my line rate would drop when this ocurred (why? I'm fairly sure they would just shape the data)
Even so, they couldn't even confirm if this had happened or not.
I also get the idea that they contact you before they do this: http://www.telecom.co.nz/tools/1,8752,205451-204363,00.html
Then I was told it should be fine the next day.
Of course, it wasn't. While it connected fine that morning, a few disconnections later and a drop in speed again told me that the first person I called had no idea what they were on about, and also they were obviously wrong.
So I called again that night, and managed to get a port reset done which seemed to solve the problem - again, until the next day when it all turned to custard again
So all week i've been trying different routers and filters and combinations of phones and just about every damn thing you can think of - but nothing seems to work!
Connection seems pretty stable when it's at ~1500k but if it manages to get full speed (~3500k) it usually drops within the hour and goes back to ~1500 again