So here's the story:
For the record, I have happily had my connection sync at 3200 kbps/160 kbps for the past 2 years or so and should be a good baseline (remember this number!)
Since the 22nd of July (maybe a couple of days earlier) my ADSL connection has been faulty, dropped connections and resulting sync speeds of 192 kbps downstream and 80 kbps upstream (or worse)
Tried 4 different routers, all the same result. No difference with removing all phones & filters and plugging directly into the first jackpoint (I have 2)
So I called Telecom, they sent out a technician who tested my sync at the road and confirmed speed of 3700 kbps and 3200 kbps inside the house. They plugged in some kind of line analyzer device which after running for 10 minutes could not find any problems - then again, the problems did not happen as often as 10 minutes - (more like 2 hours)
Of course the problem was still there so they sent another tech who did some tests and said the 1st jackpoint might be faulty and would replace it. During the time I was waiting they made me retry all the tests I had already done myself (remove phones etc)
Eventually new jackpoints went in (They replaced both for good measure) but sure enough the problem was still there.
Then they did something to the line from the house to the road (not sure what exactly, there was talk of 'swapping the pair of wires' (in what exactly I am not sure)
After they did that, the line has never managed to sync higher than 2200 kbps and the disconnection problem was STILL THERE.
At one point I also bought a brand new Dynalink RTA1320 which makes for the 5th router I've tried, and is currently experiencing the same problems.
Called telecom 3 weeks ago, told them I was still have problems, they promised me a FREE splitter installation. This has still not happened (due to the strikes I suppose)
Since then my connection seems to have become stable at 2200 kbps. However I am not getting the 3200 kbps I used to get which tells me something is still wrong!
Also, where I used to be able to get sync in my router for ADSL2+ line mode, I can now only sync with ADSL modes (G.DMT etc)
I'm going to be connected to an ADSL2+ cabinet named "GLE/AH" about this time next year, according to http://telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps.
One of my concerns of course is that this will make no difference because something is already broken in my connection.