Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.




65 posts

Master Geek
Inactive user


# 41908 24-Sep-2009 22:37
Send private message

i was just wondering how secure is the new xt mobile network is our voice calls encrypted in anyway. what about text messages are they encrypted what sorta of protection do we have on our private data?.

i know the text message hack doesn't work but what bout voice privay

Create new topic
4360 posts

Uber Geek

Moderator
Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  # 258195 24-Sep-2009 22:46
Send private message

From who or what? I am sure that if you had a few thousand dollars, and enough time to waste, people could listen in on your phone calls.
Not sure if its a two way street though, ie if they get both ends of the call or just the one.

Hawkes Bay
8477 posts

Uber Geek

Mod Emeritus
Trusted
Lifetime subscriber

  # 258204 24-Sep-2009 23:12
Send private message

Unless you invest in your own end to end encryption functionality, seperate to the networks own offerings, you can pretty much forget about security.

Its there, but do you have control, visibility or any kind of reporting over it / from it? Nope.







 
 
 
 


192 posts

Master Geek


  # 258208 24-Sep-2009 23:15
Send private message

Not a dumb question but a good one! :) I can't give you exact facts or figures but can assure you as part of testing the network before launch a lot of time and money was spent on security testing internally and externally.

Telecom employed internal security testers to complete the standard functional security testing such as trying unauthorised access to all systems, applications, checking password complexities of authorised users and permissions related to their level of access. As part of moving these systems in to production or live network an audit is completed and all accounts not required are removed.

For external penetration testing Telecom employed an independent 3rd party to perform this, detailed reports were supplied back to telecom on how secure the XT Network was, potential holes and recommendations to increase security anywhere there were weaknesses.

Must note that no network in the world is 100% secure and there is always a cost benefit formula to apply, how much do you spend on securing something 99.99% where the chance of someone exploiting a hole is 0.01%? Again can’t give you details on how secure the network is, but the technology used is industry standard and should provide the same level of comfort using XT as any other network.

There is always New Zealand’s commercial and privacy laws Telecom must abide by! If there was any problems you will be sure the press will make it front page news (2Degrees anyone!?) :)

80 posts

Master Geek


  # 258216 24-Sep-2009 23:33
Send private message

scorpiworld: Not a dumb question but a good one! :) I can't give you exact facts or figures but can assure you as part of testing the network before launch a lot of time and money was spent on security testing internally and externally.

Telecom employed internal security testers to complete the standard functional security testing such as trying unauthorised access to all systems, applications, checking password complexities of authorised users and permissions related to their level of access. As part of moving these systems in to production or live network an audit is completed and all accounts not required are removed.

For external penetration testing Telecom employed an independent 3rd party to perform this, detailed reports were supplied back to telecom on how secure the XT Network was, potential holes and recommendations to increase security anywhere there were weaknesses.

Must note that no network in the world is 100% secure and there is always a cost benefit formula to apply, how much do you spend on securing something 99.99% where the chance of someone exploiting a hole is 0.01%? Again can’t give you details on how secure the network is, but the technology used is industry standard and should provide the same level of comfort using XT as any other network.

There is always New Zealand’s commercial and privacy laws Telecom must abide by! If there was any problems you will be sure the press will make it front page news (2Degrees anyone!?) :)



Nice Answer -- Think of it similarily to internet -- and other networks -- information that you gave out to govt or anybody such as insurance -- is it secure? can you trust them??

Telecom or any other communication company or anybody that provide services must abide the privacy law. Even landline -- you can ask is it secure??

For somebody to hack into text messages or mobile networks they must have Millions of dollars to tap into these sort of communications and more importantly time - probably it will take them like hundred of years to crack and if it even so, the telecommunication companies will probably change their network or upgrade to a higher end network -- as you have seen every 3-5 years....

i would say there would be some form of encryption in text messages if not people will read other people text messages easily





65 posts

Master Geek
Inactive user


  # 258229 25-Sep-2009 05:09
Send private message

yea but look at what happens to the cdma network it was very easy to capture someone else's text messages they never fixed it it's still working today on the old cdma network. you would of thought they would of tested that. and im pretty sure u could listen to the old tdma network with a scanner

28599 posts

Uber Geek

Moderator
Trusted
Biddle Corp
Lifetime subscriber

  # 258236 25-Sep-2009 06:42
Send private message

WCDMA security is very good. Nobody in the general public can overhear or intercept your calls. It isn't immune from court interception orders however and if you have done something illegal your calls can be legally monitored.

If you want guaranteed security your only way is to use a device surrorting your own encryption such as a Secure Phone. Unfortunately one of these won't work on XT as the network offers no CSD option for data.

Create new topic



Switch your broadband provider now - compare prices


Twitter and LinkedIn »



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

Ring launches indoor-only security camera
Posted 23-Jan-2020 17:26


New report findings will help schools implement the digital technologies curriculum content
Posted 23-Jan-2020 17:25


N4L to upgrade & support wireless internet inside schools
Posted 23-Jan-2020 17:22


Netflix releases 21 Studio Ghibli works
Posted 22-Jan-2020 11:42


Vodafone integrates eSIM into device and wearable roadmap
Posted 17-Jan-2020 09:45


Do you need this camera app? Group investigates privacy implications
Posted 16-Jan-2020 03:30


JBL launches headphones range designed for gaming
Posted 13-Jan-2020 09:59


Withings introduces ScanWatch wearable combining ECG and sleep apnea detection
Posted 9-Jan-2020 18:34


NZ Police releases public app
Posted 8-Jan-2020 11:43


Suunto 7 combine sports and smart features on new smartwatch generation
Posted 7-Jan-2020 16:06


Intel brings innovation with technology spanning the cloud, network, edge and PC
Posted 7-Jan-2020 15:54


AMD announces high performance desktop and ultrathin laptop processors
Posted 7-Jan-2020 15:42


AMD unveils four new desktop and mobile GPUs including AMD Radeon RX 5600
Posted 7-Jan-2020 15:32


Consolidation in video streaming market with Spark selling Lightbox to Sky
Posted 19-Dec-2019 09:09


Intel introduces cryogenic control chip to enable quantum computers
Posted 10-Dec-2019 21:32



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.


Support Geekzone »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.