Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.


606 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 28


Topic # 84717 6-Jun-2011 19:06
Send private message

Im assuming its the scammers as work again, as we are receiving ghost calls about every three days or so between the hours of 5pm - 7pm approx.  The call is answered and there no one there, I shouted down the line and nothingm, left it on speakerphone and call was disconnected after about 20 seconds.

Im assuming its similar to this scam:
http://money-watch.co.uk/6504/076-phone-number-scam


Also had the pc fix scammers call the other day, I palyed dumb and took them on a ride for good half hour or so.

Create new topic
2649 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 509


  Reply # 478314 6-Jun-2011 20:08
Send private message

Its probably the pc fix scammers.
I gather with many of those unsolicited calls (including market research and polls), that they basically have a call centre and a computer. The computer dials the number as it thinks the next operator is ready for a call, but sometimes theoperator gets delayed (maybe they have to go and have a wee).

Anyway, sometimes if you wait long enough a person appears at the other end - but generally, when we get these calls the best thing to do is hang up quick.




Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself - A. H. Weiler

26601 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 6095

Moderator
Trusted
Biddle Corp
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 478317 6-Jun-2011 20:18
Send private message

There isn't much you can do.

I haven't had my phone number listed in the phone book for 10+ years and see no point in it. It doesn't deliver me any benefits, but delivers telemarketers plenty.

596 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 29


  Reply # 478328 6-Jun-2011 20:32
Send private message

This is also happening to us, and was happening to my friends until they moved and changed their number. We had all previously been called by the PC fix scammers and told them where to go before the 'ghost' calls began.

Baby Get Shaky!
1548 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 381

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 478353 6-Jun-2011 21:33
Send private message

sbiddle: There isn't much you can do.

I haven't had my phone number listed in the phone book for 10+ years and see no point in it. It doesn't deliver me any benefits, but delivers telemarketers plenty.


We have a saying at work, 90% of private non-listed numbers are used by criminals. You and I are in the other 10%, trying to avoid the dam telemarketers.

26601 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 6095

Moderator
Trusted
Biddle Corp
Lifetime subscriber

  Reply # 478359 6-Jun-2011 21:52
Send private message

kingjj:
sbiddle: There isn't much you can do.

I haven't had my phone number listed in the phone book for 10+ years and see no point in it. It doesn't deliver me any benefits, but delivers telemarketers plenty.


We have a saying at work, 90% of private non-listed numbers are used by criminals. You and I are in the other 10%, trying to avoid the dam telemarketers.


It's not that I'm unlisted by choice - I've been 100% VoIP since 2004 and and getting a listing with that wasn't an option in 2004!

11 posts

Geek
+1 received by user: 1


  Reply # 478428 7-Jun-2011 08:26
Send private message

Just love my VoIP standard features. The main one being "Anonymous Call Rejection" which works a treat in filtering out the spammers. However still got two calls last week from the fix your computer brigade, one from 91863 and 098810056. 

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central launches
Posted 10-Jul-2018 10:40


Spark completes first milestone in voice platform upgrade
Posted 10-Jul-2018 09:36


Microsoft ices heated developers
Posted 6-Jul-2018 20:16


PB Technologies charged for its extended warranties and warned for bait advertising
Posted 3-Jul-2018 15:45


Almost 20,000 people claim credits from Spark
Posted 29-Jun-2018 10:40


Cove sells NZ's first insurance policy via chatbot
Posted 25-Jun-2018 10:04


N4L helping TAKA Trust bridge the digital divide for Lower Hutt students
Posted 18-Jun-2018 13:08


Winners Announced for 2018 CIO Awards
Posted 18-Jun-2018 13:03


Logitech Rally sets new standard for USB-connected video conference cameras
Posted 18-Jun-2018 09:27


Russell Stanners steps down as Vodafone NZ CEO
Posted 12-Jun-2018 09:13


Intergen recognised as 2018 Microsoft Country Partner of the Year for New Zealand
Posted 12-Jun-2018 08:00


Finalists Announced For Microsoft NZ Partner Awards
Posted 6-Jun-2018 15:12


Vocus Group and Vodafone announce joint venture to accelerate fibre innovation
Posted 5-Jun-2018 10:52


Kogan.com to launch Kogan Mobile in New Zealand
Posted 4-Jun-2018 14:34


Enable doubles fibre broadband speeds for its most popular wholesale service in Christchurch
Posted 2-Jun-2018 20:07



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.