I thought I would share my story with you, I'm working through this with the people I bought the phone off so still a work in progress.
- Situation bought a new phone off Trademe, re-seller had good reviews been a member for a few years.
- Story Phone gifted by Boss, user is an Apple User hence the sale.
- Phone not Blacklisted with http://www.tcf.org.nz
- The phone was new still had plastic on it.
- Used phone for a Month and a half then stopped working yesterday.
- I find out the Phone has been IMEI Blacklisted due to non payment, and the phone as of today is now Blacklisted on http://www.tcf.org.nz
- Talked to re-seller last night they talked to their boss who bought the phone off Trademe as a gift the original buyer did not pay the bill.
Interesting Story I know and a right Pain.
But the wrinkle is if a person buys a phone does not pay for it, for a while its a active phone working as a normal phone that anyone can use until the Telco decides to pull the pin in my case a Month and a half later, so effectively a time bomb.
Talking to the Telco's Fraud Team they cannot tell me anything on who has not paid the bill nor the outstanding amount; if its a small amount this could be paid off and according to the Fraud team the Lock can be removed.
I'm holding off pushing the button on the Police / Trademe for a a couple of days to give the people who sold me the phone time to resolve it.
I'll let you know how it works out.