Rumour has it there are still a few left on the planet.
MrsDarthKermit and I went by where Civic Video Palmy used to be. It was gone. She decided that she'd go join United Video as they still have a branch here.
I had a look at Civic Video's website. There are a few shall we say "interesting" statements on that site:
- Civic Video has over 300 stores in Australia and New Zealand, and new stores are opening all the time.
- The video entertainment industry is a strong and viable industry, representing the core of home entertainment in New Zealand.
- Civic – NEW ZEALAND With over 50 stores nationwide
(Actually, their own store locator page only lists 21 stores now.)
- Franchise Establishment Costs
- Establishment costs vary for each individual site. You will need approximately $250,000 - $300,000 to fully fit-out a new Civic store to corporate design guidelines.
(Would anyone seriously think about investing that kind of dosh into an industry that's fading away?)
This isn't a dig at Civic, just an observation of today's video rental market.