Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

35 posts


Topic # 230733 10-Mar-2018 18:12
Send private message




They're putting fibre down our road at the moment. just wondering how it should be set up inside the house. I've got a structured wiring set-up with a distribution panel in a little room under some stairs. It's in the middle of the house where it's pretty much impossible to run any new cables to. What I was thinking how it might perhaps work is to install the ETP and the ONT back-to-back on an external wall then using the existing cat5e cabling that is currently in-place to get the connection from the ONT to my network router in the distribution panel.



How does that sound? That's the easiest way I can think of doing it.



any thoughts?








Create new topic
21612 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4429


  Reply # 1972464 10-Mar-2018 18:15
One person supports this post
Send private message

You will ideally need at least 2 cat5e/6 cables from there, so that you can get phone service as well from the ONT to the rest of the house, if you desire to have phone at all. Otherwise they may put something in to go from the ONT location back to outside to whereever the old copper connects, but that means that if you go with an ISP that uses a router for voice (a cheap one) then you have to put it where they put the socket to take voice service to the rest of the house.


Otherwise just accept that its not the 20th century anymore and forget about voice.


4093 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 877

  Reply # 1972506 10-Mar-2018 18:56
Send private message

Wrong forum? NZ Broadband subforum maybe?


1775 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 401


  Reply # 1972531 10-Mar-2018 21:29
Send private message

This should work fine. Chorus' standard model is to take an install line as close as possible to their network, in a straight line. Using a bit of common sense, will this broadly line up where you have an existing Ethernet port?




Also the note about reconnecting into your analogue house wiring, the standard is to put an ugly white box next to the ONT, where the analogue wiring is in the back and terminated onto a connection (an RJ11?), that can then be plugged into the ONT or your router.







Antonios K




Click to see full size

Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.