I've recently moved in to a new property in Massey. I knew fully upon moving in that the internet connection would be piss poor based on our landlord's connection, but after moving in and inspecting the house wiring...I think I know why it is poor.
Modem stats with default settings only yielded 0.5Mb/s downstream and 0.2Mb/s upstream. I tweaked the SNR a bit and now I get between 1.5Mb/s and 2.1Mb/s down but only 0.1Mb/s up.
Overview of house wiring:
Wiring job underneath house for main jack-point. I believe it is so messy as it was split off to another jack further down:
cable from my ETP on its way to shed in between our house and the landlord's house:
Second ETP mounted to pole above shed:
Cable terminated at landlord's house. It runs down the side and under the house:
Cable taped up just before going underneath the house:
It is all far from ideal. That is for sure. I'm not even sure if getting someone to install a splitter and run a dedicated cable will improve my situation. The problem may actually be more at the landlord's house. There is a wicked hum on the phone line, which I think is at my end.
What I found strange, was that adjusting SNR at my house made a huge difference. The landlord's modem gets 1.5Mb/s on a regular Belkin modem. I took my modem up there to see what more I could push out of it, and to my surprise, it was the same regardless of what setting I had it on.
It could possibly be due to the fact that I am connected to a wholesale line and the landlord is on UCLL perhaps.
I wanted to post this to maybe get some suggestions from the community out there. The landlord isn't scared to let me drill holes and pay with wiring, which is a GREAT bonus and even offered to contribute to the repair/clean up.
Modem stats coming soon :)