I have been a reader of geekzone for quite a while now. This experience with ihug deserves sharing.
Fot the last 3 months now my monthly invoice has shown land to mobile calls that were not connected. My partner calls me and hangs up after 2 rings and i have to call back when i am at work. Since christmas i noticed that my bills suddenly increased all due to lots of 1min land to mobile calls. After querying each time i have got most of the money back. They reckoned it was a glitch in the software but it seems like it could be an expensive glitch for a lot of customers.
Just a warning to all ihug customers to check the phone element of there bill.