Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Guest
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.


784 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 103
Inactive user


Topic # 151771 4-Sep-2014 15:32
Send private message

National UFB Expansion

A further 5 per cent of New Zealanders will get ultrafast broadband if National is re-elected, the Government has announced.


S
eems good news

View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic
 1 | 2
5766 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1710

Trusted

  Reply # 1121927 4-Sep-2014 15:33
8 people support this post
Send private message

Cool, Im still voting for national. My area in Takapuna isnt getting UFB till 2019.


#OutramUFB




Steam: Coil (Same photos as profile here)
Origin: Scranax
Currently playing on PC: Rust, Subnautica, CS:GO, AOE2 HD, BeamNG Drive, BF1.


534 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 114


  Reply # 1121992 4-Sep-2014 16:41
2 people support this post
Send private message

I still don't understand why they don't to one area at a time, rather than doing 70% of the area and then cutting it off and building the remaining 30% later. Probally cheaper to build one whole area at a time, so they don't have to hire and transport the equipment back to the area.




Home ADSL:                                                             School: 
 




784 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 103
Inactive user


  Reply # 1122014 4-Sep-2014 17:09
Send private message

They promised schools/business first so as to maximise economic returns

Talk DIrtY to me
4284 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2298

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 1122044 4-Sep-2014 17:44
One person supports this post
Send private message

Te Puke, Motueka, Morrinsville, Kerikeri, Huntly, Thames, Matamata, Otaki, Kawerau, Waitara, Kaitaia, Dannevirke, Alexandra, Stratford, Whitianga, Cromwell, Taumarunui, Picton, Foxton, Kaikohe, Marton, Te Kuiti, Katikati, Temuka, Waihi, Waipukurau, Warkworth, Carterton, Dargaville, Opotiki, Snells Beach, Te Aroha, Wairoa, Paeroa and Westport.

I don't see Outram on that list.

That's it, I'm voting for the Bill and Ben party now! tongue-out




Whatifthespacekeyhadneverbeeninvented?


5766 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1710

Trusted

  Reply # 1122055 4-Sep-2014 18:22
Send private message

dcole13: I still don't understand why they don't to one area at a time, rather than doing 70% of the area and then cutting it off and building the remaining 30% later. Probally cheaper to build one whole area at a time, so they don't have to hire and transport the equipment back to the area.


Your just mad your neighbor gets Fibre and you dont :)




Steam: Coil (Same photos as profile here)
Origin: Scranax
Currently playing on PC: Rust, Subnautica, CS:GO, AOE2 HD, BeamNG Drive, BF1.


4025 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1076

Trusted

  Reply # 1122058 4-Sep-2014 18:25
One person supports this post
Send private message

The more the merrier if its fundable (guess it depends where you want to prioritise government funding) but i do think that more should be done to investigate and drive uptake overall.

573 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 216


  Reply # 1122061 4-Sep-2014 18:39
2 people support this post
Send private message

I would selfishly prefer if they spent the money on speeding up the install, I'm not expected to get it till probably 2018-2019.







455 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 69


  Reply # 1122081 4-Sep-2014 18:52
Send private message

DarthKermit: Te Puke, Motueka, Morrinsville, Kerikeri, Huntly, Thames, Matamata, Otaki, Kawerau, Waitara, Kaitaia, Dannevirke, Alexandra, Stratford, Whitianga, Cromwell, Taumarunui, Picton, Foxton, Kaikohe, Marton, Te Kuiti, Katikati, Temuka, Waihi, Waipukurau, Warkworth, Carterton, Dargaville, Opotiki, Snells Beach, Te Aroha, Wairoa, Paeroa and Westport.

I don't see Outram on that list.

That's it, I'm voting for the Bill and Ben party now! tongue-out


Got a friend who lives in central Matamata.
Now he'll be over joyed getting off his 26/8 VDSL2 that's being bridge tapped and shot to hell in his apartment.





You can also follow me on twitter here @kiwifortw I do twitch streams every now and then at twitch.tv/kiwiforthewin :)

HTTP 404 Sarcasm not found.

117 posts

Master Geek
+1 received by user: 7


  Reply # 1122083 4-Sep-2014 18:54
5 people support this post
Send private message

just another vote bribe.

534 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 114


  Reply # 1122091 4-Sep-2014 19:14
Send private message

TimA:
dcole13: I still don't understand why they don't to one area at a time, rather than doing 70% of the area and then cutting it off and building the remaining 30% later. Probally cheaper to build one whole area at a time, so they don't have to hire and transport the equipment back to the area.


Your just mad your neighbor gets Fibre and you dont :)


So are you but you have a 70Mbps VDSL connection.




Home ADSL:                                                             School: 
 


808 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 206

Subscriber

  Reply # 1122125 4-Sep-2014 20:28
One person supports this post
Send private message

DarthKermit: Te Puke, Motueka, Morrinsville, Kerikeri, Huntly, Thames, Matamata, Otaki, Kawerau, Waitara, Kaitaia, Dannevirke, Alexandra, Stratford, Whitianga, Cromwell, Taumarunui, Picton, Foxton, Kaikohe, Marton, Te Kuiti, Katikati, Temuka, Waihi, Waipukurau, Warkworth, Carterton, Dargaville, Opotiki, Snells Beach, Te Aroha, Wairoa, Paeroa and Westport.

<snip>


Three more areas for me - plus my home town - But Ill be on the fringe so Ill still not get it :( - that will teach me for liveing semi rural

Talk DIrtY to me
4284 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 2298

Trusted
Subscriber

  Reply # 1122233 4-Sep-2014 23:21
Send private message

InstallerUFB:
DarthKermit: Te Puke, Motueka, Morrinsville, Kerikeri, Huntly, Thames, Matamata, Otaki, Kawerau, Waitara, Kaitaia, Dannevirke, Alexandra, Stratford, Whitianga, Cromwell, Taumarunui, Picton, Foxton, Kaikohe, Marton, Te Kuiti, Katikati, Temuka, Waihi, Waipukurau, Warkworth, Carterton, Dargaville, Opotiki, Snells Beach, Te Aroha, Wairoa, Paeroa and Westport.

<snip>


Three more areas for me - plus my home town - But Ill be on the fringe so Ill still not get it :( - that will teach me for liveing semi rural


I'll let ya know the next time there's a house for sale in my street. There's been about eight for sale since I moved here in 2009 (no, it's not because I live here, hehe). wink




Whatifthespacekeyhadneverbeeninvented?


646 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 228


  Reply # 1122503 5-Sep-2014 12:40
4 people support this post
Send private message

happyone65: just another vote bribe.



Lets just do nothing then and not expand the UFB network and leave everyone forever on the old copper....

Besides at least the UFB network aids in generating business, connectivity and innovation.
Labour's real vote buying policies just involve money handouts and freebies which have ZERO return.






NZ / AU Battlefield 4 Gaming Community
http://www.sonsofvalour.net/forums/forum.php

5766 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 1710

Trusted

  Reply # 1122511 5-Sep-2014 12:57
One person supports this post
Send private message

Labour are quite short sighted and propose all these changes to make living easier or more desirable. I heard a comment from Cunliffe saying UFB is Nationals ploy to get more votes. Not particularly the case.




Steam: Coil (Same photos as profile here)
Origin: Scranax
Currently playing on PC: Rust, Subnautica, CS:GO, AOE2 HD, BeamNG Drive, BF1.


1245 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 137


  Reply # 1122517 5-Sep-2014 13:03
Send private message

TimA: Labour are quite short sighted and propose all these changes to make living easier or more desirable. I heard a comment from Cunliffe saying UFB is Nationals ploy to get more votes. Not particularly the case.



Guess they are more focused on a fair society - not sure what that means because it is fluffy and not measurable easily.

 1 | 2
View this topic in a long page with up to 500 replies per page Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:



Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:





News »

N4L helping TAKA Trust bridge the digital divide for Lower Hutt students
Posted 18-Jun-2018 13:08


Winners Announced for 2018 CIO Awards
Posted 18-Jun-2018 13:03


Logitech Rally sets new standard for USB-connected video conference cameras
Posted 18-Jun-2018 09:27


Russell Stanners steps down as Vodafone NZ CEO
Posted 12-Jun-2018 09:13


Intergen recognised as 2018 Microsoft Country Partner of the Year for New Zealand
Posted 12-Jun-2018 08:00


Finalists Announced For Microsoft NZ Partner Awards
Posted 6-Jun-2018 15:12


Vocus Group and Vodafone announce joint venture to accelerate fibre innovation
Posted 5-Jun-2018 10:52


Kogan.com to launch Kogan Mobile in New Zealand
Posted 4-Jun-2018 14:34


Enable doubles fibre broadband speeds for its most popular wholesale service in Christchurch
Posted 2-Jun-2018 20:07


All or Nothing: New Zealand All Blacks arrives on Amazon Prime Video
Posted 2-Jun-2018 16:21


Innovation Grant, High Tech Awards and new USA office for Kiwi tech company SwipedOn
Posted 1-Jun-2018 20:54


Commerce Commission warns Apple for misleading consumers about their rights
Posted 30-May-2018 13:15


IBM leads Call for Code to use cloud, data, AI, blockchain for natural disaster relief
Posted 25-May-2018 14:12


New FUJIFILM X-T100 aims to do better job than smartphones
Posted 24-May-2018 20:17


Stuff takes 100% ownership of Stuff Fibre
Posted 24-May-2018 19:41



Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.



Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.