If you disconnect within 12 months there's a $99 fee involved. My connection first went live on 21st April and since day one my international speeds have been crap unless it's late at night or very early morning.
As posted I've emailed them my line speeds which clearly show how slow it is. I'm still waiting for a reply and I might just be being pessimistic but I really don't believe I'll get a favourable reply, which means I will cancel their service and move to Orcon seeing as the Takapuna exchange is now online. My attenuation indicates we live pretty close to the exchange so I should get some pretty fast and consistent speeds.
If they decide to charge me the $99 fee will I have to pay it or is my situation covered under the CGA?