OK I don't get this. We've happily used the Magic TV box for years - it records series and we watch them at our leisure. Covers all the free channels (we have the UHF aerial one).
However it's getting a bit long in the tooth, needs rebooting every week or so - so recordings always fail when we are away on holiday. And I figured it had done its time.
We use Google Chromecast Ultra for Neftlex, Lightbox etc, though the TVNZ ondemand app is awful. So my requirements are:
- works with existing non-smart TV (which has plenty of connections including hdmi
- does what we have now - record up to 2 channels alllowing us to watch a 3rd live
- can do FF on the playback to skip the ads
- it has to coexist with the chromecast (which the magic TV does)
- I'd like it NOT to require rebooting every week or so!
- we don't need DVD, blueray etc
Given the tech has moved on i'd also like to add the TV on demand channels - but only if i can FF and skip the ads (The TVNZ ap doesn't do that).
But all i'm finding online is the Dish TV T2200 and the Panasonic HWT260 - both of which seem to have plenty of issues according to hte threads on these forums - and are seriously years old!
What am I missing? Surely there are better options - there's a new TV every week!
ETA - Chromecast works flawlessly on your WIFI network so I would rather have a model that works on WIFI too rather than having to run a cable.