I don't know if this is a beginner's error or a case of knowing enough to be dangerous, but it might serve as a cautionary tale or source of amusement to others.
I am upgrading our TV set-up with a Mecool combo box that has DVB-S, DVB-T and Android all in one package. With some difficulty I got the satellite and terrestrial working (I think) and spent most of today trying to set up the streaming. It was a frustrating endeavour. Regardless of what tried the streaming was pathetic, with freezing, buffering, very slow loading. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, especially as other test devices seemed to work fine. The only thing I could think of was that the unit was faulty.
After far too long, the penny finally dropped. I have static IP and I just clicked through the defaults, as I usually do. The only problem is I also did that the last time with my Shield. As a result, I had two devices assigned IP addresses that end with 128. No wonder there were conflicts! I gave the new device an unused IP and now it is working fine. Something to keep in mind for the future.