Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
Welcome Guest.
You haven't logged in yet. If you don't have an account you can register now.

64 posts

Master Geek

Topic # 31532 21-Mar-2009 09:49
Send private message

Was thinking about connecting my Homecast DVB-T freeview tuner to our second TV in the bedroom by way of Cat5E and using the component video cat5 extender available from Jaycar. Only problem is these come with an optical coax audio input - not an analog one.
The new TV in the bedroom (Samsung 32450A LCD) has 3 HDMI inputs, but no digial audio input. I dont want to use another audio device. Is there a way of converting this digital audio to analog? ie some sort of coax digital to HDMI adapter?
I wanted to avoid simply running analog audio cables all the way from the tuner to the bedroom if the cat5 can be used somehow? I guess I could also purchase the composite video, analog audio Cat5 extender unit and just use the audio inputs but it adds to costs and is another plate on the wall and I guess another run of cat5 cable

Of course the simpler option could be to buy a 1 into 2 HDMI splitter and run a 10m HDMi cable (I think it will reach), but the advantage of component is I could utilise the xbox360 as a media centre extender (which I do now in the lounge). Also we may consider getting MySky and if so would utilise the component out for the 2nd room - although on reflection could I utilise an HDMI splitter for MySky as well?

Struggling to come up with an elegant solution, and then theres the issue of being able to change channels from the bedroom - would need an IR receiver for that - and coax cable?

Create new topic
553 posts

Ultimate Geek
+1 received by user: 15

  Reply # 202540 21-Mar-2009 21:54
Send private message

Get a couple of RCA combiners (2-1) feed into cat5 balun then reverse at other end. Only downsize is that it will be mono not stereo.

64 posts

Master Geek

  Reply # 202577 22-Mar-2009 10:26
Send private message

OK so what you are saying is it doesnt matter if you use the coax digital audio input on the fitting for my anlog RCA audio plug - it will work the same - as the plugs themselves are the same size/type so will go in this fitting (with y adapter). This is the item I was thinking of getting


21620 posts

Uber Geek
+1 received by user: 4432


  Reply # 202670 22-Mar-2009 21:42
Send private message

Levels will be very low since the transformers in those are made for very low input and output impedances compared to audio, so you will have a bad match.

Also last time I tried, putting an RCA combiner on one output of a box, it ends up making all the outputs virtually mono.


Create new topic

Twitter »

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when new discussions are posted in our forums:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when news items and blogs are posted in our frontpage:

Follow us to receive Twitter updates when tech item prices are listed in our price comparison site:

Geekzone Live »

Try automatic live updates from Geekzone directly in your browser, without refreshing the page, with Geekzone Live now.

Geekzone Live »

Our community of supporters help make Geekzone possible. Click the button below to join them.

Support Geezone on PressPatron

Are you subscribed to our RSS feed? You can download the latest headlines and summaries from our stories directly to your computer or smartphone by using a feed reader.

Alternatively, you can receive a daily email with Geekzone updates.