Things I've noticed:
1) There's a funny buzzing noise on channel change/play. It might only be on the analog out, can't remember if I hear it on my amp via coax. It goes away after the channel locks on/starts playing. It's not a biggie, but has anyone else noticed that too?
2) When recording two shows straight after each other, you lose about a second or soin the time that it switches recordings. Often the start or end of the program is interrupted, i.e. it doesn't put the switch exactly in between the programs. Not too annoying, but it would be better if the recordings overlapped. A single recording has +2 minutes before and +10 after so why can't this happen to each recording?
3) Is there any way of checking which frequencies are currently tuned in, or check the strength/quality. I haven't looked into manual scan yet, but my problem is that due to geography my aerial points at two transmitters, so I can pickup both. One is better than the other though. On my old box, one was stronger but worse quality (this is the one that got picked by auto scan and had problems) and the other was weaker but better quality (rock solid). I haven't had any problems with the PVR so far, but I'd like to know which got tuned in and what the signal's like.
4) I recorded Letterman the other night but the recording ended up 5 hours long! Maybe an EPG error? The other two that recorded have been OK.
5) What's the latest firmware? I don't know what mine has but I remember the old boxes updates stopped being broadcast OA after some time. Just want to check I'm on the latest.
6) Is there a way to manually record based on a timer or solely through the EPG? What if I'm going to be away for two weeks and I know a show is starting but it's past the end of the EPG. Am I screwed?
7) I series linked a few shows that have repeat screenings. When I programmed one of them, the nect episode was such a repeat which got recorded, then the rec list was updated to the next new episode. I suppose (haven't tested yet) that after that episode, it won't record the repeat (maybe the episodes have unique codes that the repeat shares?). Not really a big deal if it des record both, until the HDD is full but I thought I read that sometimes the repeat is not HD (e.g. Lost)?
Which leads to:
8) I liked The Big Bang Theory and I noticed after Wednesday's episode that Sunday's episode was loaded as the next to record. I thought Friday and Sundays were repeats so I thought it was odd that Friday was skipped but Sunday was recorded. Turns out that new TBBT (and Two and a Half Men) are being moved to Sundays, so the PVR knew (thanks to the EPG) to record Sundays now, not Wednesdays. Pretty handy.
Overall I like it so far. Sure the menus are a bit budget, but it all seems to work (although I did have one white screen reboot early on? nothing since) and the price is/was right.