My pet peeves:
1. Auto-hide on the Taskbar. Seriously? What practical reason is there for that in the year 2012?
2. By default, Windows 7 hides most of the icons on the notification area. I un-hide these every time I get on a user's computer. Half the time I un-hide these, I see java and adobe just waiting to be updated!
3. Control panel, must be in classic view!
4. Taskbar, please keep it on the bottom!
5. Outlook. For the love of all that which does not suck, WHY on earth do people insist on keeping the left pane massive, and the right pane tiny?(or top pane massive and bottom pane tiny) The meat of an e-mail is the actual contents of the e-mail, not the little place that tells you who it came from.
6. Hiding file extensions by default. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Okay, I get it. People will go to rename a file and cut off the extension. I understand that. However, a pop-up comes up every time you change a file extension telling you that the application may not work. Yes, I know people don't read pop-ups, but at least it gives IT ammo to say, "Read the pop-ups."
7. Why folders are set to default to view everything as huge icons is a mystery to me. A view that shows more icons, with the last time it was modified, and how large it is? Or....a 24x74 icon with just the name of the file or folder. Seriously, Microsoft?
8. Personalized menus. You know....the one that hides everything you're actually looking for just because you haven't used it in the last 0.038 seconds?
9. Seems like everyone has their one pet peeve that goes against the grain of most people here. Mine is tabbed browsing. Tabbed anything, for that matter. Can't stand it. I have been moving my cursor to the upper far right corner to close things without having to look for longer than many people have been driving a car. I don't know that I'll ever be able to get over that one.
10. Fixing the same problem for the same user on a daily basis because they do not want to work.
11. Users not able to apologize for saying the wrong things to people trying to help them.
12. Users that blame you for the problems they are having even though most of the time THEY are the problem.
13. Users who beat their mouse against the desk because "it" doesn't work, even if the mouse is working fine and a web page isn't loading.
14. Users who want to argue with me they didn't do anything wrong, but I must have because that file/folder is now GONE!
15. Users thinking IT is just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring while playing solitaire or typing in some forum. Wait a minute....