- Dell PowerEdge M600
- 2 x Quad Core Xeon L5430 Processor
- 2 x 500GB SATA (RAID 1)
- 16GB RAM
- Windows Server 2012 Standard
- PFSense (Router, Firewall, VPN)
- 2x Windows 8 VMs (Development, Graphics etc)
- PFSense (Home UFB Router, Firewall, VPN)
- FreeNAS (Plex Media Server, NAS etc)
- 3-4x Windows 8 VMs
- 1-2x Linux VMs (small web server)
- Form: Tower PC (not rack mount)
- CPU / MB: Unsure whether to keep dual CPUs or go more cores but need a bit more power than what I've got now? TPM would be ideal.
- RAM: ~32GB
- OS RAID1: 2x 64-128GB SSD
- VM RAID1: 2x 2-4TB SATA
- Storage RAID1: 2x 2-4TB SATA
- OS: I'm pretty sure I'm not currently using any special features of Windows Server 2012 so should I be safe to stick with Windows 8??
I'm looking for mainly for recommendations on a CPU / Motherboard combination that will do the job and possibly be able to handle the 3x RAID1 arrays without an external controller (doesn't need to be bullet-proof or 100% up-time, just fairly resilient so I can swap out a bad disk without too much hassle).